bif (or not) settings suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to have the use of a EF 400mm f5.6 to use for a couple of weeks. My reason for this post was that I was hoping for some tips on how best to set up my 50D and this lens for bird images.
    So where do I start please?
    Oh I nearly forgot, also does anyone know if this lens compatible with a Canon mk3 1.4 extender?
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: bif (or not) settings suggestions please

Where to start?
    Put the lens on the camera, find some suitable birds, set AF, point the lens at subjects and shoot

The use of the extender will depend on which body you are using. With a 1 series, you should retain AF, on a 5 series only the centre point - but I may be wrong. Try it and see for yourself, that's half the fun
    Last edited by Bawbee; 18-12-2012, 12:32. Reason: Just checked and my fingers don't work on an iPad
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Hello Peter

You lucky boy. The 400mm f5.6 is one of Canon's unsung heroes and ideal for bird photography.. The lens itself is compatible with the MKIII 1.4x extender, but on you 50D, it will only be manual focus. You would need a 1 series for full auto on that combination. But, not a major problem because 400mm is the ideal for birds in flight and if you are in a hide shooting stationery birds, manual isn't a problem ......... it's how we used to do it in a previous life!

Keep the shutter speed high, 1/1600sec minimum, 1,2000sec if you can get it. If that means compromising quality by using a higher ISO setting, then so be it. Better a sharp picture with some digital noise, than the highest quality out of focus shot. Stop down to f8 if you can. Depth of field on big telephoto's is very small, often down to a couple of inches, so f8 will help a little. If you have to shoot wide open, not a major problem, as long as the head and eye(s) are sharp. Bit of wing blur helps with the feeling of movement.

For birds in flight, panning is you best friend. Hold the camera and lens combination with elbows tucked in and resting on your chest and keep them there to brace the equipment and minimise strain to you. Do all following in any direction using your waste, feet planted a foot or so apart to maintain balance. Always follow through ................... that means keep panning even after you have taken the shot. Pretend to yourself that you are always going to take the extra shot, so pan for a second or so extra. If you pan, take the shot and stop panning, all you will get is empty sky, or tail feathers. If you are always mentally trying for that extra shot, you are still actively panning when you take the shot, so much more likely to get all of the bird.

Hope that helps.
      Colin

Comment

Just to add to what Colin said, you need to set your drive to AI servo rather than one shot so that the camera will continually focus as you pan.

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

and take the lens cap off.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
            and take the lens cap off.
            😂😳😜👍👍
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Thanks for your response gentlemen:-

Bob your response made me lol it must be a project manager thing ( said the Prince) 👍

Colin and Stan thank you both I will take on your feedback and when the lens arrives (from a well known hire company) I will try to utilise your words on a safe environment first (my garden) before venturing out in the real world. I'm considering a trip to RSPB Salthome.

MikeP I nearly dropped my glass when I read your response last night hence my first response. I was choking on my drink. Thanks for that 👍
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                Bob your response made me lol it must be a project manager thing ( said the Prince)
                Must check what ITIL3 has to say about setting up to take a photograph:
                1. Is it really necessary
                2. You'll need a Program Manager and a raft of Project Managers
                3. It will take you 200 man days to get everything in place and tested

Mike's comment reminds me of our helpdesk:
                Me 'My computer keeps crashing when I switch it on' ... Support "Have you switched the computer on"
                Me 'The email system isn't working' ... Support "Send us a screen shot of the error by email"
                et seq.

Comment

Our IT departmenty has an acronym for some of us in Project Management - PEBKAC

Problem
                  Exists
                  Between
                  Keyboard
                  And
                  Chair

Whatever can they mean?

BTW - 200 mandays is only for an Initial Response from our engineering services contractor.
                  Bob Turner
                  Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Another point is that the exposure with AE of a bird against a clear sky will certainly be underexposed so I add 1 2/3 stops under cloudy skies and 1 1/3 stops if it is sunny.

David
                    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Good point David

An alternative, especially fi you are in the situation where the birds may fly both against the sky or a darker background (trees, bushes etc), then shoot Manual and take a reading from a mid tone ( eg grass), then provided the light does not change then the exposure shoulf be correct for either scenario

Ooops, hope we are not making it too complicated

Stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                        Our IT departmenty has an acronym for some of us in Project Management - PEBKAC

Problem
                        Exists
                        Between
                        Keyboard
                        And
                        Chair

Whatever can they mean?

BTW - 200 mandays is only for an Initial Response from our engineering services contractor.
                        I work in IT and we also log some calls this the event id as ID10T.

Means we can discuss ID ten T events even with user (idiot) present.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Another one is

PICNIC error Problem in chair not in computer
                          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                            An alternative, especially fi you are in the situation where the birds may fly both against the sky or a darker background (trees, bushes etc), then shoot Manual and take a reading from a mid tone ( eg grass), then provided the light does not change then the exposure shoulf be correct for either scenario
                            Agree 100% with Stan.
                            This is something that I have practiced with some great results.
                            I just love using "M" and taking control of the camera.
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I just love using "M" and taking control of the camera.
                              It works beautifully.

The only downside is that you have to very sensitive to any changes in light, so that you can alter the exposure. If you are fully concentrating on the shot and the light changes a lot, you can have a lot of badly exposed pictures. Recoverable to an extent if you shoot RAW, but you will always introduce some noise if the exposure is wildly different.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X