Backlit images and safety issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backlit images and safety issues.

A couple of days ago I grabbed this image as the sun was setting.

The Sun is a beautiful thing (Barn Owl) by Christian D Thompson, on Flickr

It's full frame and my intention was to show the habitat of the bird.

I have a question though: As it is not a great idea to look at the sun, through a 400mm lens (for obvious reasons), is there a tried and tested, industry standard method of taking these images? Do photographers use 'live view' or are they just careful? It would be easy to blind yourself tracking an owl in flight!
    http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Re: Backlit images and safety issues.

Firstly, that is a beautiful image, showing the Barn Owl in its environment and the composition is very good indeed. It looks even better, larger on Flickr.

As a general rule, don't look directly at the sun, especially through a magnifying lens. However, whilst you are definitely risking your eyesight looking directly at the sun at midday on a bright sunny day, the risk is minimised with pre sunset, when the sun is low in the sky. Official advice will always err on the side of caution and say don't, but we all look at sunsets and the light we are looking for with contra jour photography is of a similar level.

Regarding live view, I am not sure I could physically do that with a 400mm.
    Colin

Comment

Hi Colin

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to look at it on Flickr.

You're right, with a 400mm lens there would be very little chance of finding the subject with live view! Daft question now that you mention it! Just wondering if I were missing some sort of technique that I didn't know about.

Colin, do you have a website, or do you display your images anywhere? Be nice to have a look.
      http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Comment

Colin, do you have a website, or do you display your images anywhere? Be nice to have a look.
        Something I might get around to doing one day.
        Colin

Comment

I like how the light comes through the feathers on the tips of the wings.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X