In the back garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the back garden

It was very cold and trying to snow again so I decided that I would try and get a few shots of the birds in the back garden by shooting through the window in the back door, this is a sample of what I managed in about 45 minutes.

All shot with 5D3, 400mm f5.6, ISO1600, 1/500 and infill from 2 x 580 flashes on stands at HSS and reduced power.

Re: In the back garden

Good variety of birds there ... I am no expert but is there a woodpecker amongst them?

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Exellent Ian, all that in 45 Minutes and through a window, wow!!

Very sharp and clear, lovely feather detail as well, very well lit too, lightyears in front of my back garden pic's, both Bluetit shots are superb.

Back to the Drawing Board for me I think!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Yes MX that is one of the great spotted woodpeckers that come into our garden, we have had up to 3 in the garden at the same time, as you can see it is cold by the fact that the woodpecker is standing on some of the ice at the bottom of our water feature that the birds drink from.

Thanks Paul the 2 flashes added just that little bit of infill I needed

Comment

Wow Ian they are all superb. I've never seen a woodpecker in the flesh yet. That's a little beauty you've got there.

Chris
          EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

You have no idea how envious of you I am with obviously such a superb garden!

love all of these with the blue tit in the bath being my top of the bunch closely followed by the woodpecker on the ice. Bravo sir

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

My back garden is empty of birds at the moment, we have feed, fat balls, those wormy things that reek, but nothing seems to want to come near.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Chris, David and Di, to pull the birds in we have had 8 separate feeders spread over 3 locations and feed them a mixture of crushed corn and sunflower hearts, peanuts, Niger seeds as well as fat balls plus the water feature for them to drink from. It has taken about 5 years to get them in the variety and numbers we now have. The best thing is the shots above we're taken at a distance of no more than 8 feet from the back door.

Comment

Superb v captures and that 400mm certainly does the business.
                  Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin now I have micro-adjusted the 400 it works a treat

Comment

Superb images Ian.

Tom

Comment

Some people can be quite annoying - we had to travel 100 miles to see woodpeckers and you went a few feet

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Very nice collection of pictures there. I put feeders out this year for the first time with little success. One of my neighbours has had feeders for a number of years combined with a number of nearby trees seems to cornered the market for the local bird population.
                          In my nearby wood I heard 3 different woodpeckers going about their business recently. My eagle-eyed daughter managed to spot one before I did. No camera this time - playtime on the sledge was more important.

Kevin

Comment

An absolute superb set of images.
                            Love the 2 Blue Tit pictures.
                            How easy did you find micro adjusting and do you think it made a big difference

Alan
                            Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Thank Tom, sorry about the trip you had to make Stan these are the first decent shots I have managed of the woodpecker when he is not on a feeder, thanks Kevin as I say it took us about 5 years fo constant feeding to get the variety and number of birds we now have so keep at it, you may also want to try putting some food on the ground as this may well attrack different birds to your garden.

Comment

Working...
                              X