One less starling to feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One less starling to feed

I was weeding in the front garden yesterday when I heard a screetching noise and then had to duck as this sparrow hawk flew just over my head with a starling he had caught in my back garden, he landed in the neighbours front garden and started to eat his lunch. He sat in the garden for best part of 15 minutes before being chased off by a cat.

As he was in the shade and then hid under one of the bushes I had yo shoot at ISO2000 with my 5D3 and 70-300L @ 300.

Re: One less starling to feed

You lucky guy Ian, dont even get starlings in my garden.
    WEll done

Stan

Comment

Thanks Stan, it was a privilege to see the hawk and get so close to it whilst it sat there with its food, I grabbed some shots and then left it to eat.

Comment

Cracking shots love the piercing eyes looking at you in the second picture.
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

You are very fortunate and I love the menace in his eyes in the second shot.
          Colin

Comment

What a cracking couple of shots Ian.
            EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Very nice shots. We get Sparrowhawks sat on the fence eying up a Dove for tea. Sometimes find the ring of feathers on the lawn. Often also see a number of them soaring in the thermals overhead. So common here ... in fact we get an amazing collection of birds from small ones to great big sea gulls.

Comment

Great images ... you were indeed fortunate.
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Very jealous. Lovely pics. You were very lucky.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                    Very nice shots. We get Sparrowhawks sat on the fence eying up a Dove for tea. Sometimes find the ring of feathers on the lawn. Often also see a number of them soaring in the thermals overhead. So common here ... in fact we get an amazing collection of birds from small ones to great big sea gulls.
                    Let me know when you next see them. I will come round in a flash!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew there was one around but this was the first time I had actually seen it.

Nat you will need to be fast

Comment

Ian, I like these sorts of pictures where the bird is not tame, not in captivity or in a nature reserve (!!!) and one has to be very quick on the draw!.

Comment

2nd image for me

Tom

Comment

If he (I think possibly she) hid under a bush, where were you hiding? I really like #2. There are some really talented photographers on this website, and I appreciate your sharing your work.
                            Russell
                            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
                              If he (I think possibly she) hid under a bush, where were you hiding? I really like #2. There are some really talented photographers on this website, and I appreciate your sharing your work.
                              Russell thanks for identifying the gender, I was simply standing in the road about 12-15ft away, the bird simply looked at me and carried on eating so I left him/her alone.

Thanks Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X