Totally unexpected!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally unexpected!

Down on my local reserve I noticed a few small finches in a tree just as I was rushing back to the car from a long cold session. I thought they were the Lesser Redpoll that we see regularly during the Winter but even though I had some good images of this species I still knocked off a few and hurried on. It wasn't 'til later that I looked at the image in detail and some features of the birds didn't ring true. The birds were also singing a "tune" I didn't recognise and weren't fussed about my presence, unusual for Lesser Redpoll. Then a "Eureka" moment, they were Twite - a bird that comes down the East coast in small numbers in Winter but has hardly ever been seen inland, so this was a rare occurrence. I notified a couple of other Birders and since then the reserve has been crowded out by folks wanting a sight of this inland rarity. They are still around after two weeks and I guess they may have been here all Winter but as no-one expected them and as the area normally has large numbers of other small finches, no-one has been looking specifically for them.

I've always been an advocate of the saying "Common things happen commonly" but in this case it should have been "Always expect the unexpected"

Canon 7D plus EF 400mm f5.6L

David
    Last edited by David Morison; 21-03-2013, 16:25.
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Re: Totally unexpected!

Well spotted. taken and processed David.

Tom

Comment

Great little bird and lovely detail

Comment

Well done
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Working...
          X