:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:(

Ok I really need help, iv got a canon 650d and a 70-200 f2.8l lens there is a red kit what flys a food height out side my house, I'm taking the picture up into the sky but the bird is black help with what I can do to capture it properly

Many thanks Rob

P.s. it's very over cast

Re:

Rob, I would take a reading of the exposure against your hand or the grass, note what this is and then set those values into the manual settings on your camera. Don't forget that the bird will be travelling fast and that the shutter speed will need to be high ~1/1000 to freeze the bird in flight which will result in you having to push the ISO higher than you may normally use.

Another method would be to use the exposure compensation wheel on your camera and tell the camera to over expose by between 1 and 2 stops.

Good luck and I hope you get a decent shot of the red kite

Comment

Re:

Hello Rob

Three ways out of it:

• If you use P, Av or Tv, then use exposure compensation +1.5

• Use Manual mode (M), point the camera at the grass, or skin tones, or a grey scale and adjust the shutter and aperture (and ISO?) to match the meter reading.

• You could spot meter on the Red Kite, but you will need to be very accurate and ensure you meter on a neutral tone .... not easy!

Exposure compensation will take into account varying light conditions, but you will need to judge the conditions. Very bright light may need +2 and much lower light may need +1. Manual is more consistent, but you will have to recognise any changes in light and re-meter accordingly.

Shoot in RAW so that you can fine tune the exposure post capture.

Hope that helps.
      Colin

Comment

Re:

I just had a little play on iPhoto it lightened up :)
        Attached Files

Comment

Re:

The quality don't look like it does on my camera roll now it on here tho

Comment

Re:

Iv just set my camera up on manual and in tv with a shutter speed of 1/1000 with a +1.5 over expose but opened the band so I can b between +1 to +2

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              [*]Use Manual mode (M), point the camera at the grass, or skin tones, or a grey scale and adjust the shutter and aperture (and ISO?) to match the meter reading.

Shoot in RAW so that you can fine tune the exposure post capture.
              That is what I do. Take a mid-tone reading (grass) and dial in the 3 readings using Manual mode (M).
              Shoot in RAW.
              Set the camera to Al Servo for tracking.

A longer lens than 200mm is advisable (300mm-500mm)
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Re:

I no I do need a longer lens but I don't have one at the mo and like I said its only the height of the house away, the focus speed and everything is spot on it just went black will try when he come bk later thank u for all ur info :)

Comment

Re:

I have a custom setting for birds in flight which includes an exposure compensation of + 1.7. This is an image taken with this setting:

I do have to change this + or - 0-3 depending upon the light levels but this can be easily done on the day.

David

David
                  PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Re:

That's stunning

Comment

Re:

So what is ur settings?

Comment

Working...
                      X