New Lens - First shot - Starling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Lens - First shot - Starling

I finally got my new lens today. I was going to buy a 7D however, the good fellows here advised I get a new lens. I couldn't be more chuffed with it.

I got a Tamron SP AF 70-300 f4-5.6 Di VC USD and here's one of my first shots with it.

Starling by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

The difference between that and the 75-300 are astronomical :O

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: New Lens - First shot - Starling

It looks like you're off to a good start with your new kit.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Already thinking of the possibilities with this. The VC is so useful. Only downside is that is takes 1 second for it to kick in. Obviously VC/IS really only works under 1/250th or so. However the clarity and sharpness of this is great.

I do seriously think that an upgrade to a bigger body will be needed.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Its a good start but really the bird is much too small in the frame and the split background is a bit odd with presume an oof building on the left. Despite that even at the size there is some quite good detail so if you can get nearer and pick your composition and background it should be OK

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          Its a good start but really the bird is much too small in the frame and the split background is a bit odd with presume an oof building on the left. Despite that even at the size there is some quite good detail so if you can get nearer and pick your composition and background it should be OK

Stan
          Thanks for the input Stan.
          He was out front on the tree and I just grabbed and snapped. There's a lot of houses around so picking my background was tough. I'm interested on your views on composition.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Nice first shot to get the feel of the new lens looking forward to some more will you be going out to get some more photos of the buzzards around your area?
            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
            Facebook
            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
              Thanks for the input Stan.
              He was out front on the tree and I just grabbed and snapped. There's a lot of houses around so picking my background was tough. I'm interested on your views on composition.
              Stan is one of the masters for this but I cheated in my back garden and planted a couple of old gnarled tree branches near my feeders and drilled some holes in back of them which I put cut up fat balls and peanuts to encourage the birds to use them on their way to / from the feeders that way I control what is in the background, it also means that I can set the camera up on a tripod hook up my remote shutter release and then sit at the dining room table drinking coffee and reading on the kindle (other e-readers are available) and when a bird sits where I want it to I take the picture. You may be able to do something similar.

Comment

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                  Stan is one of the masters for this but I cheated in my back garden and planted a couple of old gnarled tree branches near my feeders and drilled some holes in back of them which I put cut up fat balls and peanuts to encourage the birds to use them on their way to / from the feeders that way I control what is in the background, it also means that I can set the camera up on a tripod hook up my remote shutter release and then sit at the dining room table drinking coffee and reading on the kindle (other e-readers are available) and when a bird sits where I want it to I take the picture. You may be able to do something similar.
                  I had thought of doing stuff like that however my neighbors garden is like bird food mecca and they always to to her feeders. She got some consultant out to assess the garden to get best placement of things.

I've fallen out with her because she threw water on my cat for going into her garden so I doubt I could peer over the fence to her feeding system and I doubt I could attract anything to my side of the fence lol

I'll figure something out.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

First results with new lens looks encouraging. Some good detail there.
                    Looking forward to your next set of images.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                      First results with new lens looks encouraging. Some good detail there.
                      Looking forward to your next set of images.
                      So am I Stephen. It's all grey skies and clouds and rain in Glasgow today. I have my kids at the weekend too so I wont get time to shoot. Back to work on Monday too, so only the same old shots of a Heron in a pond in a park, however I will shoot it for comparison.

Thanks for all the advice about lenses over body folks, I really appreciate it.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul
                        Just a quick edit of your photo to see what can be improved.
                        All done in photoshop.
                        Let me know if you mind and want it removed.
                        Seems like a good sharp lens with plenty of potential

this photo belongs to paulstw by balscot, on Flickr

Alan
                        Last edited by Alan Campbell; 12-04-2013, 13:50.
                        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
                          Paul
                          Just a quick edit of your photo to see what can be improved.
                          All done in photoshop.
                          Let me know if you mind and want it removed.
                          Seems like a good sharp lens with plenty of potential

this photo belongs to paulstw by balscot, on Flickr

Alan
                          Alan, I love it. I felt the original had what seemed to be a white haze over it. You corrected that excellently :)

Nice one
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Just shows the amount of colour in a "black" bird.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X