One legged Avocet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One legged Avocet

Another shot taken on MicroWyred and my visit to Upton Warren Nature Reserve last week. Apparently (we didn’t count them) there are around 22 Avocets there at the moment.

7D. 70 – 200mm f2.8L IS 11 + 2x. 400mm. 1/1000. F5.6. ISO400

Dave
    www.trikietowers.com

Re: One legged Avocet

Nicely spotted Dave.

Tom

Comment

Its posted a bit small really to make an informed comment - or are you having 503 problems - it looks a good pose although a bit flat probably due to the light at the time

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks Tom.

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        Its posted a bit small really to make an informed comment - or are you having 503 problems - it looks a good pose although a bit flat probably due to the light at the time

Stan
        I haven't been hit by 503 for the last 3 or 4 posts - I bet that has put the mockers on me

It was a dull day and the image is heavily cropped. You wouldn't be aware of this but I usually post from my SmugMug account and if you click on the image in one of my posts it produces a larger version with all the exif info.

Would you mind looking at something I posted earlier today 'Exif information via SmugMug' in the Forum feedback section - I would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks,

Dave
        www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Lovely image , could do with some adjustments to brighten the bird.

Alan
          Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

I had a look at some of your other Avocet images on Smugmug, taken I assume at the same time. Of them all I think I prefer "Striding out" - very purposeful, though they are all nice shots.

You wrote that the image above was heavily cropped. I'm trying to understand the effective range of a 300mm or 400mm lens for bird photography. Can you estimate how far away from the birds you were?
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
              Lovely image , could do with some adjustments to brighten the bird.

Alan
              Thanks Alan. It was quite a dull day. Any tips on lightening it up would be welcome.

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
              I had a look at some of your other Avocet images on Smugmug, taken I assume at the same time. Of them all I think I prefer "Striding out" - very purposeful, though they are all nice shots.

You wrote that the image above was heavily cropped. I'm trying to understand the effective range of a 300mm or 400mm lens for bird photography. Can you estimate how far away from the birds you were?
              Thanks Russell. I reckon they were around 20 to 25 metres away although that is a guess from memory. I have posted the uncropped version on my SmugMug site to give you an idea how much it has been cropped.

Dave
              www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Originally posted by DP the Snapper View Post
                Thanks Alan. It was quite a dull day. Any tips on lightening it up would be welcome.

Dave
                If you have photoshop start by just altering the levels.

Alan
                Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Thanks Dave, that's very helpful.

I stopped by the Exe estuary on Monday on the way back up country. There were a few Avocets there, but (I would estimate) 60+ yards away.

I currently have a 70-300 f4-5.6 lens (consumer glass) and I think I'm asking too much of it in that sort of situation:

full image:
                  Avocets full image.jpg

heavily cropped:

Avocets.jpg

I'm apologise if you feel I'm hijacking your thread, but I'd really like to get some decent shots of waders and I can't decide whether to approach the management for approval to buy better glass or buy a wetsuit and crawl across the marsh to get closer.

So all advice is both welcome and appreciated.
                  Russell
                  Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I think SWMBO wouldn't be to happy with the wetsuit idea as if it all went wrong who would do the washing up etc. But buying a new lens, especially an 'L' series one would be an investment for the future

Dave
                    www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Working...
                    X