Little Egret "stalking" in the reeds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Egret "stalking" in the reeds!

I was able to watch this little Egret at fairly close quarters stalking it's prey! 60d + 300mmf4L IS USM TV1600,ISO800,AV f11, AWB.
    (i)

(ii)

(iii)

(iv)

(v)

Last edited by Nathaniel; 26-04-2013, 23:15.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Little Egret "stalking" in the reeds!

on the series Nat.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

When I first looked at these on my monitor they looked over sharpened and not up to your normal standard Nat but when I look at them full screen on your imageshack hosting site they are totally different with loads of fine detail.

Nice series, now all you need is one with a nice big fish in its beak

Comment

Thanks Ian. Yes, I was looking for the Egret to catch a proper fish in it's beak but my patience ran out. It is a bit of news for me to note that different monitors give such vastly different results. Yes, I do sharpen my pics a bit for posting purposes but thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
            When I first looked at these on my monitor they looked over sharpened
            I thought the same, initially.
            I like the set
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I find little egrets quite difficult to expose for at the best of times and the light doesnt looked to have helped either.

Just wondering why you are shooting at f 11. the majority of my wildlife is shot at f 5.6 unless the light is particularly good then i will go to f 8. Any more than that and often you risk too much background detail and then the subject tends not to stand out. Also with these shots you could then have reduced ISO to 400 and avoided some of the noise.

Some of the shots do look oversharpened, not the birds too much but the reeds in the background and as I have said many times, if your software will allow it always just sharpen your subject

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Stan, thanks for taking time to look at these pics. It is actually my fault. I went to the reserve actually to see whether the Lapwing's eggs had hatched and to get some BIF pics. To accomodate the latter I set the faster TV, ISO and let AV be set automatically. The little Egret was a bonus and I completely forgot to alter my settings. It is actually the f11 that makes the pics oversharpened. I have noted both Stephen's and Ian's comments as well. I have PSE 8 and that seems to suit my amateur purposes for now. I forgot to add that I used partial metering to focus on the subject

Comment

Working...
                X