My first Blue Tit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Blue Tit

Went for a walk on my lunch break yesterday and managed to snap my first Blue Tit. I must admit it felt great to actually catch one in the wild.

Focal Length 200mm
    Shutter Speed 1/500 sec
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO/Film 100
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Re: My first Blue Tit

It's a damn sight better than my first Blue Tit picture. You never forget your first tit.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Lovely image, everything looks right to me
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
        It's a damn sight better than my first Blue Tit picture. You never forget your first tit.
        Thanks Paul I'm happy with it as it is my first but I have a long way to go to get to the same quality as yours
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
          Thanks Paul I'm happy with it as it is my first but I have a long way to go to get to the same quality as yours
          Hmm I dunno about that, but see with Blue tits and other small birds, they tend not to just fly fast but they move their heads in a fashion that doesn't lend itself well to shutter speeds lower than 1/640th so I ramp up the ISO to anything between 400 and 800 even during the day and use spot metering. This ensures that when you're ready, your shutter speed will be quick enough to freeze the action.

I'm no expert and still finding my way with it, but it's just the small things that can make such a difference. If the noise gets too much I just use Topaz DeNoise to eliminate it all together.

I should also explain why I use spot metering instead of just saying I do.

It's to accurately meter for the bird as they are small and your focal length will likely mean they will be in the centre circle a lot.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Looks pretty good to me, very sharp, crisp and clear, background nicely out of focus, good colour, well positioned, nothing not to like for me.

Regards Paul

Comment

Nicely done. For your next pic, try one unobstructed by a leaf (for this one I'd have been a foot to the right, if possible) and, as previously suggested, I'd be shooting a faster speed and probably a smaller aperture (f/7.1 is good) with an ISO a tad higher to compensate.
              See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X