Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little owl @ BWC

Excellent.

They amaze me. I have had very close encounters with them. With two sets of them.

Notice the eyes in the first and second images. The size of black and yellow vary in size as they shift their gaze.
    anand

Comment

I like the last one. Thanks for sharing.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Great images.

I have been obsessed with these and have had close encounters with two sets of them. Each lasting 20+ days. You will notice that the size of black and yellow rings in their eyes enlarge according to the distance of their gaze.
        anand

Comment

Thanks anand - must be wonderful to see them in the wild - Regards John

Comment

Thanks Nat - Regards John

Comment

I have to say that the second shot is the best for me and at the risk of sounding like I know what I'm talking about when I really don't, the bracket on the fence/gate "explains" the DOF and draws my eye into the picture and from there to the rather captivating eyes, if that makes sense?
              Nicely done, John
              Andy

Comment

All great images and its hard to choose one. But if pushed I'm with Colin and go with the first. This try of location is typical of what I see when I spot them near where I live.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks Andy - like the explanation re No 2 - I wasn't sure about the lead in - Regards John

Comment

Thanks Tony - the staff at BWC have worked hard to produce some good natural locations for photography - Regards John

Comment

Lovely eyes. I read your reply to one of my posts about BWC. All my Spotted Owlet images are in the wild. I had great opportunity with two families of SOs. I made some videos too.
                      anand

Comment

Thanks Anand - I have had a look at your videos - excellent - Regards John

Comment

All PRO quality images.
                          The background on no 2 helps the owl stand out.
                          Alan
                          Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Many thanks Alan for your kind comments - the background was a shed that the gate was propped up against - it was in shadow so exposing for the owl in the sunlight meant that the shed was underexposed. Regards John

Comment

Working...
                            X