Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peacock

Good Evening,

Not posted on here for a short while, I've been somewhat preoccupied.
    On Saturday, since it was a really nice day outside, I went for a day out and visited Normanby Hall in Lincolnshire, where the following shot was taken in one of the gardens there. I'd appreciate some honest feedback, I'm not a wildlife photographer, but this is something I'd like to get better at. I'm not totally happy with the Peacocks posture, but it just wouldn't cooperate, temperamental models, eh?

A few EXIF details
    Camera: 550D
    Lens: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    Focal Length: 171mm
    Aperture: f/5.6 (wide open)
    Shutter: 1/1250s
    ISO: 800

Colour

Black & White
    Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Re: Peacock

For this image the color shot all the way for me

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Color is good in comparison to the monochrome. On its own the latter too would have done well.
      anand

Comment

Peacocks are all about the colour, so definitely #1. A great conversion in #2, but just not for this subject maybe.

Great work,

Garry
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I think the posture is great - his twisting neck mirroring the vegetation. An excellent, unusual shot. To my mind it would be just plain wrong not to show off the colour, so no 1 for me too.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

For me it also has to be he colour image, it is not the normal peacock type of shot and i think it works well.

If it was my shot as you have already lost the birds feet I would be tempted to crop a little more from the bottom to the point where the 2 pieces of grass cross removing the light coloured sections of leg that are visible below the grass, that for me gives a better base to the picture. I would also get rid of the curved brown tip to the OOF piece of grass / leaf behind the peacock and to the left of it, having seen it my eye keeps going back to it.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback, I'm going to see if I can tweak it.
              Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

Working...
              X