Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HCT - Sunday August 4th.

Hi all

Met up with Colin C (and his friend Brian) at the Hawk Conservancy Trust near Andover today. Great day (thanks guys), excellent 'flying and viewing' conditions, but looking at my shots, I think I struggled with the day light for some reason. I tried to expose for the birds, so the skies are mostly blown, but you can't have everything, can you?!

My kit paled by comparison to the big guns on show - 1Dx's / 300mm / 500mm / 600mm / 200-400 with 1.4 (nice!) - but I'm happy enough! It's not what you've got, it's how you use it!

Apparently!

Anyway, here's a mixed bag from my 590 shots I took, all on the 7D using my 70-300 L.

Can't for the life of me remember what this bird was/is!
    1/800, f5.6, 116mm, iso320

Leaping off the post by mikep_eos, on Flickr

3 Red Kites, and I'm miffed that I clipped the tail feathers off the bottom bird!
    1/1000, f5.6, 70mm, iso800(don't know why I was at iso800!)

3 Red Kites by mikep_eos, on Flickr

The bond and trust between the handlers and birds was very apparent, especially in this shot.
    1/2000, f5.6, 100mm, iso800.

Trust by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I stayed for the Owl flying display... in the dark and rain, then dappled sunshine! All in a woodland setting, so I ramped up the iso and kept shooting!

This Tawny Owl quickly poked his head out the tree stump!
    1/40, f506, 300mm, iso3200 (the 7D handled iso3200 better than I expected!)

Tawny Owl in tree hole by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl launching himself off a perch.
    1/640, f506, 300mm, iso3200

Great Grey Owl by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Although he didn't look as impressive when the wind blew from his rear!
    1/1000, f5.6, 300mm, iso3200

Bad feather day! by mikep_eos, on Flickr

And finally, Colin kindly suggested how I could use low power flash to fill-in some of the birds...
    1/100, f8, 182mm, iso400, manual flash at 1/64 power (I think).

Bald Eagle by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Just loved this little Merlin's colours...
    1/40, f8, 236mm, iso200, flash at 1/4 power (I think)

Merlin with flash by mikep_eos, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: HCT - Sunday August 4th.

Looks like you had a great day Mike despite the weather. The Owl display is great but in the woods is always going to be tricky.
    The Grey Owl is Molly, well I sure hope it is still Molly, Colin C can tell you all about her.

All winners as far as I am concerned as it is not easy during the displays.

No low flying Vultures !!! or did you just keep your head way down low. If you were with Colin & Brian I guess you were over on the side for the afternoon session.
    David

Comment

Hello Mike, great to see you again. I saw some of these shots on your rear screen and they look even better here.

Your first shot is Tolkein, an African Eagle Owl, or Hawk Owl, depending on which part of Africa you are in. You have nailed him just how I like birds of prey .......... a pin sharp body with some blur in the wings to emphasise movement. A great shot and good start to your day.

For the Red kites, do you recall what I was saying about keeping your left eye open to superimpose the general scene, whilst using your right eye through the viewfinder? Not just for 500mm lenses, but any telephoto and would probably have worked for this shot where you could have concentrated on the food and taken the shot as the birds converge. You were also using ISO 800 because the light was pretty dull by then and you needed a high ISO to keep the shutter speed up.

Mike with the Bald Eagle is a great shot of the rapport between the Falconer and the Eagle, taken at that optimum moment a split second before landing. Very well done for only your second visit.

The great Grey Owl is equally good with sharp body and blur in the wings. The next shot of the same bird shows just how much of a flying Duvet he is.

Troy the Tawny Owl really is one of the money shots from that display and to capture it that well, in that appalling light, speaks well of your skills and the 70 - 300mm L and 7D working well together.

And finally the Bald Eagle Portrait. Beautifully exposed, great pose and that lovely dark background keeping all the attention to its head and facial expression ......... with more than a little menace. I have seen many a so called pro shot of that bird pale into comparison against your shot.

A good day out, but with changing indifferent light to test our skills and we still came up with shots worth having. I have looked through mine and am quite happy with the results. I'll wait a couple of days before I post any.
      Colin

Comment

A very nice set Mike.

Tom

Comment

Brilliant set Mike. I agree the 7D handles high iso really well.

Doug.
          Cameras... 7D, 350D
          Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
          Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Well done Mike, particularly if the light was as bad as it was in Bournemouth yesterday

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Great set Mike.
              Looks like you've learned a lot, and photography is all about learning different techniques love the Bald Eagle shots (handler and portrait ones)Flash can really make a shot work and you've proved that superbly with the Bald Eagle portrait,I'm using fill in flash more and more especially during the bright sunny weather and the results are excellent.

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

All good shots Mike and Colin's info really helps too.

My favourites are 3 and 7, the Eagle landing pose with legs outstretched is great and the portrait is really well lit with a superb pose.

Regards Paul

Comment

Wow, thanks guys for your very positive comments, and thanks again to Colin for the company and great tips (oh, and the try out on your 500mm!).

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                  No low flying Vultures !!! or did you just keep your head way down low. If you were with Colin & Brian I guess you were over on the side for the afternoon session.
                  I just picked other shots for the 'first set' but I have shots of the vultures... most taken from under my seating, so some unusual perspectives! And yes, we were at the far side of the seating!

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  The next shot of the same bird shows just how much of a flying Duvet he is.
                  They did mention he's a flying duvet in the talk! lol

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  I have seen many a so called pro shot of that bird pale into comparison against your shot.
                  Well, what can I say... you must be a good teacher! Thank you... praise indeed, and I'm very happy with this shot, and the others I have of the Bald Eagles.

I'm looking forward to seeing Colin's shots!

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                  Looks like you've learned a lot
                  That's why I enjoy meeting up with others so much... this forum is great for most other things, but face to face help is invaluable.

Again, cheers all. Appreciated.

Mike
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

"Bad Feather Day", that's funny! I really like this set Mike. I especially like the one with the handler, great catch.

Very well done,

Garry
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Garry, I like to see some humour in things... and there's another 'handler' shot below for you!

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                      No low flying Vultures !!! or did you just keep your head way down low.
                      Just for David, here's a couple more...

Taken from the floor next to my seat!

Duck! Vulture by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I mentioned in the first set about the trust between falconer and bird... here's another example...

Vulture hand out by mikep_eos, on Flickr

also, 2 or 3 of the Red Kites can take food off a plate...

Red Kite lunch box by mikep_eos, on Flickr

and finally, the Bald Eagle 'Cheyenne' calling out... (probably complaining about me blinding him with repeated flash shots )

Bald Eagle by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy the 'extras' (especially David!)

Mike
                      Last edited by mikep; 05-08-2013, 18:00.
                      flickr

Comment

Well done again Mike

surely they are black kites and not red kites, at least they used to be, although i havent been for 18 months now

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Some great shots.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                            surely they are black kites and not red kites, at least they used to be, although i havent been for 18 months now
                            Well, some of them could be, as they definitely flew black kites! I think the shot above (page 2) of the Kite taking food of the mess tin is a Red, but page 1 Kites are probably Black Kites.

I was wondering who'd spot that first!

Mike
                            flickr

Comment

Great set Mike.

Bill.
                              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X