Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Bird?

One for the 'bird experts' this one

Living in the country, and backing onto farmland, our garden gets its fair share of feathered and furry visitors, plus the odd grass snake and slow worm.

However, I spotted this fellow on the bird feeder, and dashed indoors to grab the camera, hoping he would wait around.

Fortunately he did, and I was able to grab a couple of shots.

While he is similar to the Greenfinch, he is very much brighter in colour, and showing a bright yellow pretty much all over, as opposed to under the wings.

When I zoomed in on this shot, I noticed that he had a ring on his left leg.

Any ideas on what he is

The image is heavily zoomed and cropped from the original to give a closer view. Also compressed down to 50kb for posting.

Taken with an EOS 7D and a Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

Dave
    Attached Files
    Dave

Re: Mystery Bird?

It's a Greenfinch.

In bright light they look more yellow than green.
    Colin

Comment

I did wonder Colin, but he was so much more brightly coloured than the other Greenfinches that we see on a daily basis, which is what caught my attention.

The fact that he is 'ringed' seemed even more unusual.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

If its ringed then it could be an escapee from an aviary and possibly a cross between a canary and a finch
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Hi Alex

Out of interest, I phoned the RSPB, and apparently there are a number of studies on going whereby they catch a variety of wild birds in 'Mist Nets', then ring and release them.

In some cases, they will even ring the young birds in the nest.

I said that this particular bird was unusually brightly coloured, compared to the other Greenfinches that visit the garden, and they asked me to e-mail the pictures to them, which I have done.

It seems that different coloured rings are used for different studies, and the RSPB lady asked if it was a silver coloured ring (Aluminium), which is what it appears to be, as this clearly meant something to her.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

the RSPB lady asked if it was a silver coloured ring (Aluminium), which is what it appears to be, as this clearly meant something to her.
            Is she going to tell us though?
            Colin

Comment

I don't think there's really any doubt. Certainly younger birds will be very brightly coloured and in the lighting conditions in the photo will look very yellow.

But if you want to Google greenfinch in images you'll see quite a few like this.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                Is she going to tell us though?
                Now that is the 64000$ question
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I did get a reply from the lady at the RSPB, and she said:

"Thanks for sending the photos to me. This Greenfinch is definitely a bright individual, and as you say very yellow. You do get variants in a number of species, so the fact that this bird is quite yellow could be genetic, and passed on from the adults."

She also attached a PDF describing the bird 'ringing' system, and extract from which, I have copied below:

"The UK ringing scheme, and all licensing issues connected with it, are administered by the BTO.

For further information about bird ringing or the data obtained, contact the BTO at: The Ringing Unit, BTO,
                  The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk IP24 2PU; Tel: 01842750050; E-mail: ringing@bto.org, website:
                  www.bto.org. If you have found a ringed bird, please report it directly to the BTO."

So, Colin was absolutely correct, it is a Greenfinch, but it would seem not 'your average greenfinch'. At least not average compared with the many Greenfinches we regularly see on the bird feeder in our garden.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X