Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photos of Red Kites taken at Gigrin Farm yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos of Red Kites taken at Gigrin Farm yesterday.

After finding myself with little to do on Thursday I decided for an impromptu visit down to Gigrin Farm to do a spot of red kite photography. The weather looked promising, sunny skies all day, turned out that we had sun for 20% of the time.

Although I have done a fair bit of photography I have never done a full day with birds so I packed as much kit as I could carry including camera bodies, lenses – 100-400, 300 2.8, 1.4 and 2x extenders, tripod and flash. After a brief 4 hour drive I arrived and paid my £15 for the hide as the £20 hides were already booked.

At Gigrin farm they feed the birds here so you can always be sure of plenty of action (see photo) however having 100’s of birds at one time initially made it harder as I was looking everywhere.

I set up my tripod and mounted my 1dx with 300 2.8 and a 2 x converter. Now many of you will know far more than I do about photographing birds so here is what I learnt for beginners:

1) Using a tripod to track a bird is a skill that needs to be mastered! I have not master this and in fact found it most infuriating so ended up hand holding for the entire afternoon. It allowed me to move much more freely even if my arm did want to fall off after a while!
    2) I believe a gimble would have made the tracking easier on the tripod.
    3) 400mm is not long enough on full frame but is plenty on a crop
    4) At 600mm hand holding I found it hard to lift up and spot my subject immediately but at closer to 500mm I found it much much easier
    5) The flash stayed in my bag all day apart from a shot my friend took of me!
    6) Following a bird round is much easier for you and the camera to get the shot rather than waiting for the bird to come into the shot

I did have a great time and would recommend it, I do believe there are other spots too where red kites are in abundance now but I fancied a long drive and from London to Gigrin and back in a day is a long drive indeed!

I took about 1100 photos, lost around 300 through a nasty card corruption unfortunately and deleted anything flying away (another 30%). I have cropped and edited everything as much as I can to cover up some poor photographic skills in this area and have these photos to share:

Just before the feeding frenzy starts! (Higher quality images available at http://500px.com/martin_abela/sets/kites_at_gigrin_farm)

Red Kites (1 of 9).jpg

Mine!
    Red Kites (4 of 9).jpg

Red Kites (5 of 9).jpg

A rook getting free lunch too!
    Red Kites (6 of 9).jpg

Red Kites (8 of 9).jpg

Red Kites (9 of 9).jpg
    Canon 600D, 7D, 5D Mark II (for underwater), 1Dx, 16-35L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 70-300L, 100-400L, 300 2.8L II

Albums at 500px http://500px.com/martin_abela/sets (in progress)

Re: Photos of Red Kites taken at Gigrin Farm yesterday.

Hi Martin,
    You make some good points. One point you have missed is that after the feeding frenzy the number of kites coming in to grab food starts to decline. At this point watch for one 95% of the public have left and only two or three people are still around. The kites then get a second feeding frenzy - and this time they tend to be a lot closer !
    Hope this helps anybody going there for the first time.
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
      Hi Martin,
      One point you have missed is that after the feeding frenzy the number of kites coming in to grab food starts to decline. At this point watch for one 95% of the public have left and only two or three people are still around. The kites then get a second feeding frenzy - and this time they tend to be a lot closer !
      Correct James
      This is generally the best time to get that shot.

Well done Martin, a great selection, all look great
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

A great set.

Doug.
        Cameras... 7D, 350D
        Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
        Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of birds and you've got some lovely shots of them, Martin.

I fully endorse the suggested use of a gimbal - it makes tracking BIF effortless and I take mine everywhere.

Andy

Comment

Lovely set

Tom

Comment

must go back soon ,last time we went it was a two hour drive down through thick fog and just as we got there the skies turned clear blue .it really is a spectacular day and we were treated to a display by the leucistic white kite while there to .a highly recommended day out in wales ,there is another red kite feeding station in the aberystwth area to and thats over a small lake ..
              superb shots btw martin well done

Comment

Fabulous set of photos

Comment

Great shots Martin, I love #5 and #6 from the series.

Chris
                  EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Nice set of pictures.
                    Used to pass by regularly on my way to Elan Valley but never went there.

Kevin

Comment

Brilliant shots all of them ... Martin well done
                      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                      X