How to photograph sparrowhawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to photograph sparrowhawk?

I have a sparrowhawk living in my area and I've seen it three or four times over the past year or two, devouring a kill in my next door neighbours tree. I've also seen loads of feathers in the garden at other times, presumably from the sparrowhawk, although it could be from a fox.

I'm no bird photographer, but I'd like to get a shot of the sparrowhawk. I kept my camera in the kitchen for 2 months so it would be handy next time it called in and I did get out into the garden with my zoom lens on once, but it escaped before I could get it!

Are there particular times of day or year I should be on the lookout? Anyone got any ideas for other things I can do, or is it just down to luck?
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: How to photograph sparrowhawk?

in your case you will probably have to shoot through glass ,as the slightest movement or noise will spook it .so clean windows no1 priority ,practise how close you need to be to get a decent shot though the glass .and make sure your camera is set up ready to grab a shot with only minor adjustments to iso etc on the day

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      in your case you will probably have to shoot through glass ,as the slightest movement or noise will spook it .so clean windows no1 priority ,practise how close you need to be to get a decent shot though the glass .and make sure your camera is set up ready to grab a shot with only minor adjustments to iso etc on the day
      Sounds like sensible/good advice to me ....
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

A friend of mine has been taking photos of Spars for years. His advice to me was short, however, I can understand why he'd keep it secret. A lot of photographers in our area tend to want to know everything about where you got a shot rather than do the field work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4065801...7625493028512/ <--- his set

I have never had success with them and only ever got one picture in it's nest. They fly very direct, and often come right into gardens to grab pigeons and anything really. You can get quite lucky with that. One bit of advice that stuck with me was that when they make their kill they won't budge until they have eaten. Quite often see pics of them ripping innards out of birds they have just killed in the street or gardens, and to me it's almost like just luck if they land near to where you are.

Sounds like you could be in luck if you have one near you. Unlike a Buzzard they prefer food that's still alive so it's not like you can just dump roadkill down and it'll feed off it.

Apart from being really patient and predicting it's movements in its territory then it might just be like most other birds and a game of patience, and staying under the radar. :)
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

There is one that frequents the bird feeders in my garden and as yet I have never managed to photograph it. My daughter had a close encounter with it as it was going for a starling or something on the bird feeder, with the sparrowhawk trying to avoid my daughter who was walking down the garden.
          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
            ...so clean windows no1 priority...
            Yeah, my wife keeps saying something similar, ha!

That sounds like a close call, 2Beers.

I've checked out that set, Paul, and I agree, it's a very tough bird to shoot. It's even tougher to get a photograph of the bird in flight! Looking at those pics, it's at least clear that it is a Sparrowhawk that I've seen.

I'll continue to keep my camera handy, keep my windows clean, and this time i'll stay inside and try shooting through the glass. Looking back, I probably scared it off, when I would have been better off staying put. I put water and food out for the birds so I usually have a load of pigeons, blackbirds, magpies, robins, etc flying around, and when they are nowhere to be seen and it's very quiet I grab my camera and go on high alert.

Cheers guys.
            Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Working...
            X