Islay Christmas Trip Birdies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islay Christmas Trip Birdies

Finally got to fire my 6D in anger on Islay , weather wasn't the best (nearly didn't get on to the isle due to ferry cancellations ) , did eventually get to see some wildlife......

Buzzard by Gordon_H61, on Flickr

Buzzard2 by Gordon_H61, on Flickr

Heron at Bruichladdich by Gordon_H61, on Flickr

All with the 6D , Buzzards with 400mmL Lens at Bridgend , Heron with 70-300mmL Zoom across the road from Bruichladdich Distillery .
    Need a bit more practice me thinks .
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: Islay Christmas Trip Birdies

Perfect exposure on the Female Buzzard shots; in that light most would have only got silhouettes. The light hasn't been kind for the Heron shot, but you have made the most of it and placed it in the frame for best composition.
    Colin

Comment

Tom

Comment

Well captured shots Gordon
        The 6D is certainly a great camera

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Agree with Colin, good shots especially considering the light. Looks to be a lot of detail in the images as well.

Still toying with getting 6D or 70D and these images have made me consider 6D again after almost being set on 70D. Fortunately no rush for me so still lots of time to ponder.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Poor Buzzard looks like it's had it's fair share of fights. Nice and close even for a 6D. :)
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Good shots of the Buzzard. I have never been that close to get an shot of a Buzzard

Alan

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words .
                The 6D is a great camera , just need a bit of time to play with it and get used to the settings and position of buttons etc . The one bummer i found out when processing these photos was that 6D doesn't work with PSE 10 , need to update (you know when you should have bought 12 on Amazon at £32......) .
                Paul - funnily enough that's what i thought when i saw it !
                Alan - This was the first day from what i gathered from the locals that it hadn't been blowing a hoolie , we'd been for Lunch at the Bridgend Hotel and started driving towards Portnahaven drove around a corner and there were at least 2 pairs flying around so jumped out of the car and started shooting , they were literally over head , i was bending over backwards at one point ! this must have been the first day they were able to get out for a feed as we saw loads more as we drove down the Isle . We never saw the usual displays by the Geese either , they are a great sight when they return to their roosts at sunset ( Islay is famous for it's wintering geese , 40,000+ descend on the Isle in October).
                Islay is a mecca for the twitchers (as well as the whisky lovers !) Golden Eagles , White Tailed Eagles , Hen Harriers , Choughs , Corncrakes to name a few as well as the Geese .

antoeknee - I went for the 6D primarily because it was an affordable way to get into FF , the only existing lense i have i can't use with it is the Sigma 10-20 , one of the interesting things is the Wi-fi , i couldn't use the remote app on my phone as i have a Blackberry but i did manage to pick up a Nexus 7 (2012) in the sales for under £100 and have since installed the Remote app and the Dslr Controller on it , works well enough and gives a larger viewing area than the screen on the back , will come in handy somewhere along the line ! You can also use the Eos Utility to connect remotely and control the camera .
                Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S

Comment

The one bummer i found out when processing these photos was that 6D doesn't work with PSE 10 , need to update (you know when you should have bought 12 on Amazon at £32......)
                  you dont need to update your software, just download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your 6D raw files to DNG, its a universal raw format and you will then be able to open and process them in Elements.

I mainly use CS3 which does not support raw files from my 7D, so i have used FNG for the past 4 years without problems

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan ! Just tried it out seems to work ok , just need to work out how to get the thumbnails to show as pictures on the converted side , just shows the PSE symbol at the moment.

Comment

Great Shots and good clarity. Speaks well of the 6D. I am over the moon with mine (6D) but still trying to tackle the GPS.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                      X