Seagull coming in low and fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagull coming in low and fast

The weather has been terrible. Grey everywhere, so I thought I'd get some BIF practice at Hogganfield Loch in Glasgow. You're sure of a lot of different types of bird there and I'm surprised the RSPB haven't taken over it.

Canon 7D
    400mm f/5.6L
    f/5.6
    ISO2000
    Spot metering
    1/400th Tv

I'm conscious of keeping this lens wide open and never below 1/400th. I've opted to return to intermediate ISO settings because sometimes it can be helpful. This was the full frame shot with no cropping.

Cheers for looking. Incidentally my last 3 images on Flickr have all made Explore, including this one. Really odd.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Seagull coming in low and fast

super paul ,i always shoot in a/v mode but everything else is along the same lines as you ,looks a good copy of that lens

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      super paul ,i always shoot in a/v mode but everything else is along the same lines as you ,looks a good copy of that lens
      I believe it's a good copy, however, this shot is one pin sharp out of 102 shots over three days. I think that the lens is back focussing. I had a pheasant sitting on my fence the other day, I snapped away quite the thing and on reviewing the shots, the head was soft and the back of the body was sharper. Not much but sharper than the head.

AI Servo just gives up when it misses and hits the BG. I'm going to hard reset my 7D today.

Must admit, I've had more fun with my 35mm film camera over the holidays than my 7D lol. Lift, adjust exposure, click, reload. Perfect.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Well done Paul in those conditions a good shot I am a bit of a wimp and only venture out when its a bit warmer

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
          Well done Paul in those conditions a good shot I am a bit of a wimp and only venture out when its a bit warmer

Alan
          One thing about having a constant f/5.6 lens is there is no option but to go out when it's nice. I knew I could control noise better than I used to so I just went out anyway. I can't wait to see what this produces in good light.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            I think that the lens is back focussing.
            With my copy of the 400 f5.6 I had to set the micro-adjust on my camera as my copy was front focusing, it took me about 30 minutes to get it right as i had to do it the old fashioned way with tripod / targets and looking at the images on a laptop to get it right. Give it a go it made a world of difference to my images when shot with the lens.

Comment

That's the sort of photo of a Seagull in flight which I aspire to, having today bought the same lens as you have used - 400mm f5.6L.

I particularly like the background - Much more interesting than just a flat plain blue sky in my opinion.

I usually shoot in Av mode too (70D) but if handholding a 400 it's probably a good idea to make sure that shots stay above 1/500(?), or 1/640(?) < which would people here recommend as a minimum shutter speed, please?

Was your shot handheld, Paul?
              "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansell Adams, 1902-1984

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                With my copy of the 400 f5.6 I had to set the micro-adjust on my camera as my copy was front focusing, it took me about 30 minutes to get it right as i had to do it the old fashioned way with tripod / targets and looking at the images on a laptop to get it right. Give it a go it made a world of difference to my images when shot with the lens.
                ....As I have just today bought a 400 f5.6 (previously owned), this naturally concerns me. How do I determine if micro-adjustment is needed, please? Or is there a dedicated thread about it?
                "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansell Adams, 1902-1984

Comment

Yeah it was handheld. I never use my tripod.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by RedRobin View Post
                    ....As I have just today bought a 400 f5.6 (previously owned), this naturally concerns me. How do I determine if micro-adjustment is needed, please? Or is there a dedicated thread about it?
                    PM sent so as not to hijack the thread.

Comment

That is a very nice shot Paul nice to see you out with the new lens
                      1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                      Facebook
                      www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

That is a very nice shot Paul, well taken.

Bill.
                        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Hiya Paul .. great to see you back.Hope you are going to show us more great pics with that 'essential photograhic tool' as Colin C would say...
                          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                            I'm conscious of keeping this lens wide open and never below 1/400th. I've opted to return to intermediate ISO settings because sometimes it can be helpful.

Thats a very useful tip, and I need to try and remember it.
                            I tried in vain to get some bird in flight (BIF?) whilst at Bushy Park earlier in the week but the results were dismal. Next time I will try upping my ISO to get a shutter speed go 1/400th or higher.

And it's a great image, I like the energy it portrays.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Working...
                            X