Kingfisher - High ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingfisher - High ISO

I think as far as documentation of life and species is concerned these files would probably be ok, however, as a display of wildlife photography I'm not sure I'd be winning any competitions lol.

However, many of you will know my spell with Kingfisher last year, and it looks like they are back to the same stretch. Not sure they ever went away but for the last few months I haven't seen them so naturally I was worried sick.

Canon 1D MKIII
    400mm 5.6L
    ISO3200
    1/200th
    f/5.6

I thought I was being cheeky with the 1/200th shutter, and they came out a bit soft. I did lean the lens on my arm and on the fence but a spikey fence isn't comfy lol

Glad the wee guy is back though.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Kingfisher - High ISO

These look great Paul. I'm not looking for exact location, but is this local to your home? Can't imagine it would be in Glasgow!
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Right in the centre of Glasgow just off the Botanic Gardens on Byres Rd. On the Kelvin Walkway. I guess that kind of narrows it down a bit lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

totally superb paul ,you have mastered the 1d3 quick enough matey ,either of these shots could take a bigger crop as well .been trying out the lads t.c's today .the 1.4 is great not much a/f reduction and quality seemed not bad either (rather good in fact) ,waiting for the weather to have a proper go though.

and also tried the 2x tc manual focus only but decent i/q and what reach

p.s surely in the situations you frequently seem to find yourself in would not a monopod be the thing to have with you ???

Comment

I think having a monopod might be good for this thing yeah. Need to look into that. Really happy with these shots at such high ISO. Can't wait for the sun to appear again if this is what it's like pushed to it's limits.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            Right in the centre of Glasgow just off the Botanic Gardens on Byres Rd. On the Kelvin Walkway. I guess that kind of narrows it down a bit lol
            Wow, I'm impressed this is so close to such a busy place. Nice work Paul
            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Very nice images.
              Andy

Comment

Well done Paul

stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Good shots Paul ... just looked at the 'location' via google earth ...
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Kingfisher patrol a part of the river about 1km in length along the stretch of their territory. You get used to where they feed based on the environment, the flow of water, the depth of the water and how clean it is. It's not long before you can narrow down areas of that 1km stretch to find them. Once the nesting season comes in, it's a different ball game with them being protected and all.

There's been talk of an Otter on the same stretch and an Otters territory is about 2km so this year may prove to be difficult for the Kingy I think. Not many high banks on the river to nest in due to flooding of late.

So far on that one stretch of river I've seen, Kingfisher, Heron, Goosander, Mallard, Grey Wagtail, Red Fox and a Sparrowhawks nest.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Smashing shots Paul

Comment

Most of us would be more than happy with those shots Paul, well done.
                        Ian

Comment

Appreciate the replies :) Felt like I needed a Kingy shot to get me going again.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Glad they are back - look forward to the upcoming photos.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Well done Paul.

Bill.
                              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X