Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Kite in flight

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. My new Canon 70D arrived today, so I took it out into the garden with the dogs. I had the 24-105mm f4 L lens on it.

This striking Red Kite flew over the garden and I had no time to change lenses. This is a cropped version of the shot I managed.

Red Kite by cazza5311, on Flickr

I am sure I will get better at it but I was pleased with my first attempt. Please feel free to critique as I want to learn.

Regards,

Carol
    Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Re: Red Kite in flight

hi Carol ,looks like a great first post to me

Comment

Thank you, Dave. There are some gorgeous shots in here, I was a bit embarrassed posting mine.

Regards,

Carol
      Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

Carol, don't be embarrassed by your post it is very well exposed with loads of detail.

Comment

Very nice first post well exposed and loads of detail well done
          1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
          Facebook
          www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Excellent red kite shot and so lucky to have one fly over your garden.

To be hypercritical, your have got halo's showing on some of the edges probably due to the large crop and slight oversharpening

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Super first attempt ,a very good camera ,you can only get better with it

Comment

Very well done. 👍👍

Tom

Comment

Thank you for your kind words everyone. Stan, yes I think I overdid the sharpening on this. Don't have much idea when it comes to processing the raw files as yet. Is there a set procedure one should follow?

Regards,

Carol
                  Regards,

Carol

Comment

You have done very well Carol. well done
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thank you, Stephen.
                      Regards,

Carol

Comment

Great shot, well done.

Bill.
                        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Fabamundo capture ...
                          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Stan, yes I think I overdid the sharpening on this. Don't have much idea when it comes to processing the raw files as yet. Is there a set procedure one should follow?
                            Sharpening shoud always be the last thing you do, that said I always sharpen on a duplicate layer, using unsharp mask, and then using a layer mask and brush set to black paint out areas of the image i dont want sharpened so with halos, use a small brush and just run it round the edges of the bird and the halo will disappear, provided of course it wasnt there before you sharpened

Stan
                            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                            flickr

Comment

Nice detailed shot well done, good advice from Stan will try that myself

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X