Owls at the British Wildlife Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owls at the British Wildlife Centre

Hi all - not posted too much for a little while... nothing personal!

I went to the BWC today, and although it was a nice day, the light was a little harsh... however... here's a selection from the Owl Display. All with 7D, 70-300 L.

These are only first draft PP shots, and I'd be interested in your views as to which have potential (if any!). I've purposefully tried something different with some of them, and not spent too long doing it, either! See what you think!

Snowy Owl 1 by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Eagle Owl stretch by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Eagle Owl glide by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Eagle Owl portrait by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I look forward to your comments!

Many thanks, and I hope you enjoy them!

Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: Owls at the British Wildlife Centre

All very nice shots Mike
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Really like how the light catches the feathers in the first and fourth ones mate, great work

Comment

Great shots Mike

The fourth one really stands out for me.
        Chris
        Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

3 is going to be the best one Mike - the snowy although the eye is good i think there is too much of the bird in shadow - but as its a first draft there may be some more detail to pull out there

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

#3 is the best for me as well Mike, if you can lighten the shaded area and pull out some detail without adding too much noise #1 could be interesting, #2 for me is a nice record shot as you unfortunately have the steps in the wrong place and in the last one there is some lovely detail but the dark shaded object to the right of the birds head spoils it for me.

Comment

++ All are very good Mike, but image 1 (it's uniqueness) and 4 are my favorites.

Tom

Comment

All great shots Mike, 3 and 4 for me.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice shots and interesting to me as my better half has booked me a couple of days in September at BWC as birthday present.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Many thanks guys. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll take them onboard and try to find some time to work on them soon!

Cheers, mike.
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

All nice images but No 4 for me

Alan

Comment

Nice ones Mike. I like the two flying owl shots- 2nd & third.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Mike, looks like you had a good time, presumably not too many people there, although the weather was as good as you could have hoped for I guess.
                          My thoughts, for what they are worth:
                          1. The shadows on its front are just too deep for me, and I can't quite work out what is going on with the mouth/beak, but that's probably just me. Like the eye though.
                          2. Doesn't quite work for me as he looks a tad awkward and grumpy down there.
                          3. Like that very much, particularly how you've picked out his eye in pp (you have, haven't you?) and the light on the leading edge of his wings.
                          4. My favourite, loving the feather detail. Yes, it is a shame about the black blob behind, but hey, I wish I'd have taken that.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks guys

@Alex - so what you're saying is... I started badly and gradually improved! LOL. #3, hardly any PP (not even on the eye), he was just coming into a patch of light, and that's why I like it!

Appreciate all the comments. No seriously.

Mike
                            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                              @Alex - so what you're saying is... I started badly and gradually improved! LOL.
                              Hey, better than starting badly and then getting worse... which is my normal trajectory!
                              Canon EOS 7D
                              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                              X