Kingfisher (male) Finally got closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingfisher (male) Finally got closer

Totally natural shot, no hide, no bait, no perch. Just walking by with my camera and flash.

Really chuffed after all the work I've put into this. Sleepness nights, really low points and wanting to give up. I like that it's a different shot to the usual bird on a perch shot.

Canon 1D MKII
    400mm
    f/5.6
    ISO1000
    1/400th
    Flash on 1/8th power

Was trying to balance ambient light (it was dark) with flash, because I had to keep it up to 1/400th and flash sync speed is 320th or so on the 1D.

Anywho, it's been good to share the journey so far.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Kingfisher (male) Finally got closer

Well done; hard work always pays off in the end.

I'd have been ecstatic just to get close enough to a 'naturally wild' KF, let alone grab a shot...

Cheers;

Lee
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
      Well done; hard work always pays off in the end.

I'd have been ecstatic just to get close enough to a 'naturally wild' KF, let alone grab a shot...

Cheers;

Lee
      Cheers Lee. I see this pair everyday on my walk. I can get about 10ft away from just walking by, but they don't mind that. It's when you stop that they fly off. Keeping disturbance to a minimum I've spent most of the time just walking by taking grab shots as I walk. Kept to keeping their existence to a minimum lately because they are pairing up so just watching was good enough for me.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Nice shot Paul Congrats on getting closer
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Great shot Paul, I've not seen a kingfisher so close so well done
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Considering I've never got within 100' of one of these beasties, that capture is just so impressive Paul, a testament to your dedication and perseverance

The flash has given it a slightly surreal, almost photoshopped look though, do you think there might be mileage in burning the bird and/or dodging the background a little (or boosting the shadows and reigning-in the highlights) to redress the imbalance between fore and background?
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Nice one Paul. I hope you keep one for me in May.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

When I consider the well taken shot from my friend Steven of a different kingy, yeah mines does look a tad bright. I never go back and retouch an image and post something different. However, I've done it for this one.

Not sure about it at all.

Here's Stevens.

Last edited by Paulstw; 19-02-2014, 10:12.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Well done Paul, you say that you were trying to balance ambient and flash but there does not seem to be much ambient so could you have tried HS sync and used a higher shutter speed, I know that when using HS sync the flash distance reduces ( inverse square law don't ask me to explain) comes into effect but as you were on 1/8 power and you could increase this might not be a problem, sorry if I am talking from where the sun don't shine just a thought, great to get so close

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
                    Well done Paul, you say that you were trying to balance ambient and flash but there does not seem to be much ambient so could you have tried HS sync and used a higher shutter speed, I know that when using HS sync the flash distance reduces ( inverse square law don't ask me to explain) comes into effect but as you were on 1/8 power and you could increase this might not be a problem, sorry if I am talking from where the sun don't shine just a thought, great to get so close

Alan
                    Cheer Alan :) I would love to have a fully auto flash, but I have to make do with a manual flash for now. Plus factoring in that you have a split second to time it right before they fly off. I'm pretty happy with the result :)
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Its a super pose Paul but really neither the original or Stevens look quite right - there seems to be little feather detail - I think it is caused by the flash more than anything, a reason I never use flash for birds. With your 1D you could have doubled the ISO and dialed in perhaps +2/3 exposure compensation and still kept a reasonable shutter speed

Stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Stevens one Stan was in bright sunlight. I was just showing how bright the feathers can be in the right light.

It's not really been a popular pic to be fair. A bit of a downer for me today actually. I was all excited about this pic. I think people who go to purpose built photo hides for this sort of thing have made this venture look far too easy.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                          When I consider the well taken shot from my friend Steven of a different kingy, yeah mines does look a tad bright. I never go back and retouch an image and post something different. However, I've done it for this one.

Not sure about it at all.
                          We're all learning new skills in one way or another, both camera skill and processing abilities. Sometimes, an image can be worth a little extra time and attention.
                          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                            We're all learning new skills in one way or another, both camera skill and processing abilities. Sometimes, an image can be worth a little extra time and attention.
                            Dunno Andy. I can spend hours deciding on an image. I'll edit it, walk away for ages and come back to it. If it still looks good to me I'll then put it into PS for some finishing. To go back to the start on an image hurts my head lol

However, working on it on my MAC at home is such a welcomed change. Never mind, i'm not going to give up on the daylight shots. This one was taken at 7am this morning. It was still pitch black outside.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul do not let it be a downer any image of a Kingfisher is a + and not to be in a hide is extra

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X