Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess what? Yip got him again this morning. (Kingfisher)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess what? Yip got him again this morning. (Kingfisher)

I walked the 100 yards from my car to the location and there he was sat right on the perch fishing. I ran back to the car, got my hide, came back down and ended up scaring him away. True to form he flew back 3 mins later to continue.

It's my fave so far. I went out this afternoon to locate a nicer perch. Something with moss on it, and more flat so he can approach from different angles. I've noticed that because the perch is pointing a certain way he can't fly onto it and must swoop up into it from one side. A flatter perch will mean both directions are possible.

ISO1600
    400mm
    f/5.6
    1/60th

It was still quite dark out with a smidgen of sun coming up. I'm lucky they stay pretty still on the perch

Hope you don't mind me keeping you up to date with it :)

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Guess what? Yip got him again this morning. (Kingfisher)

I agree, best so far. Think you'll have to go some to beat this excellent image.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Super photography
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

That is just beautiful!
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I did have an image of him looking right at me, but I really don't like that pose where they look all fat and chubby so I never processed it. All the rest from today were binned for motion blur. This was the only survivor :)

Thanks for the kind words as always.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

You've cracked it, Paul - took me ages for my first KF so I know exactly how you feel :-)

Personally, I'd back off on the dark and sharp just a tad (says he, who just posted an HDR shot!) but maybe that's just my preference for birds - its a great shot as it is and you just know more are around the corner, which is why we keep coming back for more!

Andy

Comment

Cheers Andy. I did put my hide about 5ft closer this time, and halved the ISO from last time. Editing of it, is probably on the limit of contrast I'd normally go for. I actually tend to dial in negative contrast. I think when I slid it across the image just popped out from the BG and I went with it :)

It's only going to get better as the sunny mornings come in earlier.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

About as good as it gets

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Nice image,try for a perch,with a slight curve,then if you are lucky ,he may batter his dinner on it.
                  www.flickr.com/photos/kingfisherblue www.johncaswellwildlifephotography.com

Canon 5Dmk4 ,Canon 7D mk11,Canon 7D,Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L is 11 USM . Canon100mm f2.8 Macro ,Canon 24-105 F4, 1.4 x111 ext

Comment

I also agree, the best so far. Have you thought about submitting them to an agency or your local paper?

Brian
                    http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

That image is better than any KF shot I have taken. I am envious and also very pleased for you, well done Paul.
                      Colin

Comment

superb shot matey ,try and find a stick with lichen growing on it if possible moss would look to out of context imho .hard to find the right perch then get them on it but it can be done .

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          That image is better than any KF shot I have taken. I am envious and also very pleased for you, well done Paul.
                          Really Colin? I don't know what to say

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                          superb shot matey ,try and find a stick with lichen growing on it if possible moss would look to out of context imho .hard to find the right perch then get them on it but it can be done .
                          Already have a new perch in place. Some nice green mossy branches. Lets hope tomorrow morning is nice and bright.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Stunning, well done Paul.

Bill.
                              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X