Ring Necked Parakeets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Necked Parakeets

Often see these flyng around Barnes WWT and perching in the trees but usually without a clear view. We were lucky yesterday that just as we arrived early in the morning a number of them were perching in the leafless trees in the courtyard and by using the balcony above the shop I was able to shoot at more or less eye level and full frame

There were two in this particular tree, one perched at the top
    1/500, f8, ISO 400, 280mm

and another a little lower down
    1/320, f8, ISO 400, 280mm

who then got a bit lonely and climbed to the top to sit beside the first one
    1/400, f8, ISO 400, 170mm

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Ring Necked Parakeets

I like the composition if the third one Stan

Comment

Superb as always Stan.

Doug.
      Cameras... 7D, 350D
      Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
      Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Nice shots I like the pose in the second one
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Well done Stan

Alan

Comment

Thanks guys, the only thing missing is a better sky but by the time the sun came out with the blue sky and puffy clouds the birds had gone

Stan

flickr

Comment

++ Stan

Tom

Comment

They're pretty common now all around London. I believe they started colonisation, probably from escapees, in SE London and have slowly spread clockwise around the Thames Valley and are now common throughout the suburbs. Where I live, in Ealing, they have become quite a nuisance. They strip the local trees pretty bare of early growth. I live in a cul-de-sac opposite a playing field and a hundred or more roost in the trees opposite my house. They frequently visit my bird feeders.
                Regards ,
                Norman

Comment

should have said .... nice shots BTW. Must get back to Barnes soon myself.
                  Regards ,
                  Norman

Comment

Cheers Tom

They strip the local trees pretty bare of early growth. I live in a cul-de-sac opposite a playing field and a hundred or more roost in the trees opposite my house
                    yes, I have seen them roosting in the trees around the WWT car park in the past

Stan

flickr

Comment

the only thing missing is a better sky
                      Following Colin's tutorial
                      I grabbed a few shots of the sky this morning to replace the bland sky from some of these images - here is an example

Stan

flickr

Comment

Its amazing the difference it makes Stan ....
                        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Did you cut the birds out or use a blending mode? A lot of the detail has been lost from the feathers where they are against the sky.
                          Regards ,
                          Norman

Comment

Its amazing the difference it makes Stan
                            thanks Wayne - it really is very simple and a two minute job. This may differ slightly from Colin but all i did was open the parakeet image and the sky in photoshop, first making sure the pixel dimensions for the sky were the same as for the parakeet (just makes the job easier)

With the parakeet image open, select all and then copy and close image fown. With sky open, edit and paste the parakeet which will become layer 1. With that layer active, use the magic wand tool to select the sky, feather the selection by 1 px and hit "delete" on the keyboard and the bland sky will disappear leaving the new sky. Flatten and then any other pp you may need before a sharpen and save

Did you cut the birds out or use a blending mode? A lot of the detail has been lost from the feathers where they are against the sky.
                            See above for method. This image is not the original one posted so I may have processed it a bit different which could account for less detail, although I am doing nothing with the main body of the bird. There could be some minor loss of detail around the edges due to the feathering and also due to final sharpening where i would add a layer mask and run a small brush around the edges to ensure a better blend between the bird and sky

Here is one of the three originally posted, with a new sky and comparing side by side on my screen I cant see any difference in detail

stan

flickr

Comment

Nice set Stan enhanced even more with the edition of the blue sky.

Dave.
                              www.microwyred.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X