Results of day at Hawk Conservancy Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results of day at Hawk Conservancy Trust

The following are some of the shots I took at the Hawk Conservancy Trust the other day.
    These are the first ever I have taken of birds.
    Special thanks to Colin for taking the time to give me some "clues" of what to do on the day.

Open to C&C.... all taken using 50D and 70-300 IS USM and processed through DPP & PSE 7

Bald Eagle looking for his next meal... f/5.6. 1/750, ISO 400, fl 300mm, evaluative metering

V52 Bomber.... part of the Vulture flying display...... f/8, 1/1500, ISO 400, 70mm , evaluative metering

Vultures in "formation run" at head height...... f/5.6, 1/1500, ISO 400, 70mm, evaluative metering

Molly the Grey Owl..... f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO400, 300mm, evaluative metering

David
    Last edited by djguk47; 12-04-2010, 22:20. Reason: spelling....
    David

Re: Results of day at Hawk Conservancy Trust

I was looking forward to seeing your results, in the hope that I could provide a few tips for your next visit, but it is quite apparent from these shots that you need no help from me.

Cheyanne looks menacing.
    You've captured the vultures flying low.
    Molly is her adorable self, but I would have been tempted to take her in portrait format.

Well done David.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Colin,
      It is thanks to you for taking the time to help me that I have managed these on my first attempt at taking shots of birds.
      I had a number of chances of taking Molly in profile but I fell in love with her eyes and just had to take her the way I have done.
      These are just a small number of the 100+ shots I took. I have some of Troy up a tree just to prove he is not afraid of heights....
      I may post a couple of others later.
      The shot I really want to get when we go back is of the Vultures coming over the grassy mound behind the seating. Now that IS a sight to behold.
      Thanks again Colin.

David
      David

Comment

Good set, No2 is my pick of the bunch, the 'in yer face' perspective has real impact.

On the first, the light hasn't been very kind, with the whites being a tad hot.

I might have been tempted to shoot at F6.3/F7.1 to drag the back of his head into focus.

Small niggles aside, really enjoyed viewing these.
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post

I might have been tempted to shoot at F6.3/F7.1 to drag the back of his head into focus.
          I guess this is personal taste as I prefer to have the back of the picture going slightly out of focus - to me it seems to make the object have depth. When I look at an object the things in the peripheral vision are not sharp so the OOF gives the same impression to me as my eyes are drawn to the object in focus

Are the whites in #1 slightly blown?

I like all the picture with my personal favorite being #3

Brian
          Last edited by briansquibb; 13-04-2010, 09:14.
          ef-r

Comment

Sounds, and looks, like you had a great day. Well done on the photos, you must be pleased for for first foray into birdy stuff.

Coming away knowing what you want to capture next time sugests you've caught the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
              Sounds, and looks, like you had a great day. Well done on the photos, you must be pleased for for first foray into birdy stuff.

Coming away knowing what you want to capture next time suggests you've caught the bug.
              Hughbie, Yep gotta agree with you about catching the bug, caught it in a big way. Now I know the various flying displays I know what I want to take next and more importantly were to position myself. The major thing I learned on the day is that understanding a routine is half the battle in getting a good shot and knowing that for bird shots wind direction is oh so important.
              David
              David

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                I guess this is personal taste as I prefer to have the back of the picture going slightly out of focus - to me it seems to make the object have depth. When I look at an object the things in the peripheral vision are not sharp so the OOF gives the same impression to me as my eyes are drawn to the object in focus

Are the whites in #1 slightly blown?

I like all the picture with my personal favorite being #3

Brian
                Les, Brian, yes the whites are slightly blown in shot #1. I tried to claw them back a bit but it made other areas too dark. I think the fact that the sun was out and in full power for the first time this year many of the birds were making the most of it and resting in the full sun.
                I know that part of the problem was me trying to remember all the settings and refrain from reverting to using the auto green box on the 50D. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it properly.
                David
                David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                  Les, Brian, yes the whites are slightly blown in shot #1. I tried to claw them back a bit but it made other areas too dark. I think the fact that the sun was out and in full power for the first time this year many of the birds were making the most of it and resting in the full sun.
                  I know that part of the problem was me trying to remember all the settings and refrain from reverting to using the auto green box on the 50D. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it properly.
                  David

I know how it feels as I am there too - I am doing family portraits tomorrow so I will be struggling to remember everything
                  ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    I know how it feels as I am there too - I am doing family portraits tomorrow so I will be struggling to remember everything
                    Brian, I now have my "little black book" which is rapidly filling up
                    I think what you are doing with the family portraits is great... well done you..... were you not doing a wedding either recently or soon... if you have done it then how did it go??
                    David
                    David

Comment

Christening on Sunday, Ryman league football on Tuesday, Fancy dress party on 1st May and wedding n July - and I am getting ready for a big panic
                      ef-r

Comment

Working...
                      X