Kestrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kestrel

In one of the all too brief flashes of sunshine at the Hawk Conservancy today, I managed to snap this Male Kestrel.

Colin
    Colin

Re: Kestrel

These are beautiful birds I see them over the field where we fly our model planes.

Comment

Unfortunately, with the Barn Owl, they are in decline. Coincidentally, those are the only two British raptors that can genuinely hover.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

This is good Colin, really like the eye glint you have caught

What are are the tech details of the shot?
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

That's a beautiful shot - and I love Kestrels.
          =========================================
          Scotty - Noob with a 550D, Russell Hobbs 14943, 18-55 IS Kit Lens,
          70-300mm Tamron, Wahl 5560-917, nifty fifty and a Philips QC5015

Flickr Account
          =========================================

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Unfortunately, with the Barn Owl, they are in decline. Coincidentally, those are the only two British raptors that can genuinely hover.

Colin
            I knew that the Kestrel could hover but didn't know the Barn Owl could, thanks for the information you learn a lot more than how to take photos on this forum.

Comment

Very nice, clean shot Colin.
              Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
              Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                This is good Colin, really like the eye glint you have caught

What are are the tech details of the shot?
                Hello Les

Off the cuff I would have said 1/1600 sec @ f8, with ISO to suit, but on checking the EXIF data, I actually used 1,2000 sec @ f5.6 IS0 800. This explains why I haven't got quite as much wing blur at the wingtips as I would have liked. The sun was in and out all morning and although I was on Manual, metered off the grass, I was flicking the controls up and down as the light changed. Although it was still the correct exposure, I veared away from my preferred settings.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

A beauty Colin, lovely wing shape and great eye.
                  Regards
                  Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                  7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                  24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Hi Colin;

I think that's one of the best BIF shots I've seen of a Kestrel for atmosphere & 'feel'... The fact that he's right on the cloud line as well is the topper...

Well done...
                    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Working...
                    X