• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hummers

Wow, just fabulous shots

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks for the comments and interest in setup and where the shots were taken
      I spent some time in Trinidad Which has a wide variety of exotic birds and became obsessed with photographing the Hummingbirds
      It took quite a while to get the technique right and several kit upgrades (with associated negotiation at home) to get shots like these

There are two great places to go up in the hills in Trinidad
      1. Asa Wright where you can stay (old plantation house) get up at dawn for the first few hours of the day and you will be in heaven with your camera with numerous rare birds everywhere (I even saw a Toucan once but it was too far away for a shot)
      Here is the link - highly recommended if you travel that way (many go there for an entire week as a base and go on day trips to the swamps etc) http://asawright.org
      2. The second and my fav for Hummers is Yerette - a private house with plants and feeders to attract the Hummingbirds open by appointment with fantastic hosts. They don't have a web site but look up Yerette in Tripadvisor and the reviews tell it all

With regard to set up I tried and did not like flash (has to be off shoe otherwise you get ball bearing looking eyes). It seemed to be used by most professional looking photographers but shots seemed artificial. I personally found I did not like the tripod setup (again used by most decent looking photographers) and seemed to have developed a reasonable hand held technique
      Equipment is D1mkIV with 300mm f2.8II (camera for autofocus and lens because it is so sharp). Combination is heavyish and at the limit for hand holding over extended periods so I did not go for the 400mm

Hopefully of interest and not too rambling. I struggle to find a similar replacement obsession here in the UK to photograph and Owls come close but I have not found any spots with wild ones near home in Kent I'm afraid yet
      All the best Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave for that detailed and informative information. If you have any other bird shots from that trip please post them up as the ones we have seen so far are truly fantastic !
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks James - will dig through the library
          Cheers
          Dave

Comment

Oh wow simply stunning

Comment