Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on getting photo's of woodpeckers

Hi
    I have been trying for weeks to get photo's of a male woodpecker that is visiting our garden and eating at the bird feeder. But it is so shy and elusive. It flies away at the slightest thing. I have only managed a couple of photo's that are semi good, most have been blurred. or it flies away before i get to take any snaps with my camera.
    I have an eos 450d and i am using a telephoto lens, 70-300mm
    Attached Files
    RuthieC

Re: Any tips on getting photo's of woodpeckers

Hi Ruthie

Here's my advice - you're almost certain to get some movement (and therefore blurring at slower shutter speeds) with a Woodpecker on a hanging bird feeder. In any case, they don't give a very natural image.

Instead, make yourself a rigid Woodpecker feeding station by attaching a piece of old tree branch of about 4 to 5 inches in diameter (the older and gnarlier the better and preferably with some moss or lichens on it) to the top of a fence stake.

Then drill several peanut sized holes into the branch and drive the stake into the ground in a convenient position within range of your camera/lens and which gives you a nice background to your shots.

Fill the holes with peanuts (the tighter the fit the better) and wait for your visitor to find them. Once it's done so, it will be back on a regular basis giving you the opportunity to get some movement/blur-free and more natural looking shots.

Ideally, position your camera/lens on a tripod pre-focussed on the branch and, if you have one, use a wireless remote release (eg Hahnel HW 433 C80) to fire off your shots when the bird visits.

Hope that helps and good luck
    Last edited by JeffH; 22-08-2009, 22:36.
    Jeff
    www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk
    (Schedule 1 Licence holder for Avocets, Kingfishers and Barn Owls)

Comment

PS. Here's one of mine using the technique outlined above -

Attached Files
      Jeff
      www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk
      (Schedule 1 Licence holder for Avocets, Kingfishers and Barn Owls)

Comment

Thanks for that - I will give it a go. He goes for a tree in the middle of the garden, but its really hard to get a good shot of him there. So yeah a pole thing could be a good idea. Thanks
        We also have a dog, which is another factor for making the birdies fly away.
        RuthieC

Comment

Working...
        X