Help with identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with identification

Just like to know if anyone can put a name to the type of bird these are,live in east yorkshire and very rare to see birds of prey,
    sorry for the image quality as i was only out with the dog for his walk and could not get close to the area they were in,maybe next week i will set up camp in the field and try and get something decent.
    Paul

EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: Help with identification

I think they could be Buzzards - but I'm sure someone with far more expertise than me will be along shortly to advise.
    jhdee

Comment

Thanks jhdee
      Think your right, been looking at a few books and says they like farmland and nearby woods to nest in and that just sums up the area perfectly
      many thanks paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Hi Paul
        Very difficult to tell from the shots but I would say either buzzards or because of the tail feather flare i wonder about red kites but not sure if you would see them in Yorkshire

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks stan
          Sorry about the image quality best i could do at the time, were taken with 300mm +1.4 conv, couldn't even get to lock the focus with the grey sky and small supject ,but just thought best to capture some thing just for a reference.
          PAUL.

Comment

Mmmmm - I'm unsure about these...

Like Stan, with the tail-flare I'd consider Red Kite... but the bulk of the body and straight-wings tends to suggest Common Buzzard...

Kites typically have more of a 'kink' in the wings, and are more 'delicate' than the bully-boy Buzzard!

#4 is certainly more Buzzard like for the tail...

If I had to place a bet; I'd probably opt for Buzzard - but it would be an 'each-way' !
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks CF
              Must try and get a cleaner image if poss but have a busy weekend motocross/horse jumping not sure which to see and photograph, why does everything happen at once !!!
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                Hi Paul
                Very difficult to tell from the shots but I would say either buzzards or because of the tail feather flare i wonder about red kites but not sure if you would see them in Yorkshire

Stan
                Lots of Red Kites in West Yorkshire around Harewood House following a successful and on-going programme to re-introduce them. Worth a visit for anyone reasonably nearby who might like to see them. I've counted nine in the air at the same time which was a quite spectacular show. There is also a bird garden there with all sorts of other types to see, although photographing through the wire is not the easiest thing. There might well be similar programmes in East Yorkshire.

Comment

Looks like they're all Buzzards. At this time of year, you will see many birds lacking feathers in their tails and wings - this is noticable in the top image. This is due to the birds shedding their feathers and growing their new plumage.
                  www.wightwildlife.co.uk

Comment

Buzzards.

Male and female out hunting together. Female about a third as large again as the male. Splayed wing tip feathers are typical of soaring buzzards. Stuart's point regarding the shedding of a tail feather is correct. They will shed the outer ones in pairs and the central singly. This appears to have happened with the male, which could imply that it was a red kite, but the female's tail is intact. Buzzards and red kites wouldn't be flying together, they would be attacking! Although I have seen them in close proximity at red kite feeding stations.

* Red kites are more slightly built, smaller, have a longer tail with a central fork.

* Golden Eagle has a similar silhouette, but a much longer wingspan.

* Harriers have a more slender wingshape and longer tail.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Thanks to everybody for there help I'll go for Buzzards,as i said i will try and get some better images next week if poss ?
                      Many thanks Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X