Another Kingfisher, but does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Kingfisher, but does this work?

I ask because I have a lot of them killing their lunch and during this the protective cover moves over the eye, you can see it on this image, does it detract if you post pictures with it over the eye?

Kingfisher drying by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Another Kingfisher, but does this work?

An unusual pose. Very different to the other poses I have seen. Well seen and photographed.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Interesting question! A Google of nictitating membrane gives information. I'm not a bird tog but as long as an image is technically good then I think catching the membrane in some shots would be a bonus. Probably for the majority of shots a retracted membrane would be preferred if only because that's what most people expect to see and the eye is a key focal point but for illustrating a wildlife talk for example then it's definitely useful.

I knew sharks had membranes but did not know birds also had them until seeing your picture - thanks for the education!
      Last edited by Enigma; 15-10-2016, 12:23.

Comment

The membrane does make the eye look a bit strange but I think the main thing with the shot is the bird is a little dark and much too much dead space on the left. Worth looking at lifting the shadows slightly and cropping off from the left to a portrait orientation and adding a little canvas on the right so the bird is looking into not out of the frame
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

I would be proud of this image, but agree on the dead space

John

Comment

A good question. If it was a common species I would say no, but because they are not easy to see let alone photograph then if it was mine, I would definitely keep it. Agree about exposure and the space on the left.
            http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Ok lifted the exposure a bit, tweaked the colours and tried two versions, are these better, I could simply darken the eye to remove the lens, but that would be cheating.

Kingfisher shaking Attenborough by Tony Taylor, on Flickr

Kingfisher shaking Attenborough portrait by Tony Taylor, on Flickr

I just like the movement, it's different and the water being ejected from it.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I like the square crop , but if I am honest I probably would not make use of these images if they were mine , if it actually had the fish in the beak or something , maybe then . Would still likely keep them on my drives though .

Comment

Working...
                X