Shorties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorties

For those who have read Jeff's ( aka Blackfox ) most recent post with a Shortie picture you will know I spent a day yesterday up his neck of the woods having a go at the local owls. It was my first real go with my recently purchased 1DX and the thing that was really noticeable was the difference in reach compared to my 7DMk2. The birds did not fly in particularly close and I was shooting at 600mm , this would have been 960mm if I had used the 7D2 and I know it would have made a big difference. The 1DX was amazingly quick to lock on focus and keep it locked during flight movement . I took over 650 shots and the vast majority were in focus and tack sharp when viewed at original size on my computer , however, the full frame effect meant the birds are all very small in the frame and these shots below are huge crops , to a level I would never normally consider , that said i don't think they are too bad but really wish I had taken the 7D2 aswell to have made a comparison. Overall I had a really enjoyable day and it was a real treat to see these wonderful birds hunting during daylight hours.
    Short Eared Owl by steve dawes, on Flickr
    Banking Right by steve dawes, on Flickr
    Short Eared Owl by steve dawes, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dawesy; 26-11-2016, 15:21.
    Steve ( LSINWP )
    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Re: Shorties

They look pretty good viewed on this tablet. It only becomes an issue if I really zoom in. It must have been fantastic seeing them and having a chance to get the shots in the first place. I am moderately jealous
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris , as I intimated in my post I lost out on reach with the body I was using but also I know I would never contemplate cropping pictures to this degree if they had been taken with a 7D2 so its swings and roundabouts really.It was fantastic watching them as I reckon there was 5 or six hunting yesterday and they are special birds.
      Steve ( LSINWP )
      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

super set steve ,not as bad as i imagined either ,and given the sea fog droplets in the air bloody good .hopefully once all the muppets have filled there boots it will quieten down a bit to .no waxwings again today we looked in on the way to the shops .its like a ticking clock .
        and apparently today the flipping harriers turned up as well all three sorts .

Comment

I too have a 1DX and 7D2 as you are probably aware and often wonder whether I would be better off with a crop sensor instead of full frame. However, the quality of the 1DX sensor does mean that you can crop quite drastically and still retain a good quality image for web use and even PDI's for competitions. The trick is using good long lens technique.

Stunning set of shots. Particularly like #3.
          http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

To be fair Steve I think the best test would need to be done on a normal day ,with properly clear skies .and to be honest I can't see the difference between your larger cropped pics and mine

Comment

Yes three looks the best , though none look to bad . I have a 5Dmklll and a 7D , I carry both bodies with me generally , but try and keep the full frame on most of the time , as I know the quality of it will always be better if I can get close enough to my subjects , but that is the hard part !

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Sugden View Post
                I too have a 1DX and 7D2 as you are probably aware and often wonder whether I would be better off with a crop sensor instead of full frame. However, the quality of the 1DX sensor does mean that you can crop quite drastically and still retain a good quality image for web use and even PDI's for competitions. The trick is using good long lens technique.

Stunning set of shots. Particularly like #3.
                Thanks Brian , reasonably pleased with my first real outing with the 1DX and you are right about the quality of the sensor and the ability to take a larger crop. I am sure they would have been better shot off atripod too as these were all hand held.
                Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  To be fair Steve I think the best test would need to be done on a normal day ,with properly clear skies .and to be honest I can't see the difference between your larger cropped pics and mine
                  Thanks Jeff , I dont see agreat deal of difference from some of the shots taken by others there yesterday so its a case of keep practicing with the new gear to find the right combinations.
                  Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                    Yes three looks the best , though none look to bad . I have a 5Dmklll and a 7D , I carry both bodies with me generally , but try and keep the full frame on most of the time , as I know the quality of it will always be better if I can get close enough to my subjects , but that is the hard part !
                    Thanks Mark
                    Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Not likely to see these near the south coast so good to see any shot of an SEO

Your middle shot doesn't really work for me as he is flying away but I do like 1 and 3, 3 in particular I would say is streets ahead of any of all the SEO shot posted recently. A great pose, sharp and shot just at the right moment so his whole body is clear of any grassy distractions

stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Not likely to see these near the south coast so good to see any shot of an SEO

Your middle shot doesn't really work for me as he is flying away but I do like 1 and 3, 3 in particular I would say is streets ahead of any of all the SEO shot posted recently. A great pose, sharp and shot just at the right moment so his whole body is clear of any grassy distractions

stan
                        Thanks for the feedback Stan
                        Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Wow. Very nice set Steve

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                            Wow. Very nice set Steve

Tom
                            Thanks Tom
                            Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Working...
                            X