X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Male Goldfinch

Male Goldfinch by steve dawes, on Flickr
    Steve ( LSINWP )
    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Re: Male Goldfinch

Nice clear well exposed shot. I know bird do land on fences and wire but to me it's much better if they're on something natural.

John

Comment

Great shot Steve, can see where John is coming from on a natural perch

Comment

logs, stones, posts, fences and wires all fine just feeders that are a no no and good background on this one

Male Goldfinch
        I wasn't aware there was much difference between male and female, in fact Collins says in practice sexes are alike in the field, so how have you ID this as a male ?
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Can not say I am that put off by the Perch , lovely light on him Steve .

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
            Nice clear well exposed shot. I know bird do land on fences and wire but to me it's much better if they're on something natural.

John
            Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
            Great shot Steve, can see where John is coming from on a natural perch
            Thanks guys
            Steve ( LSINWP )
            1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              logs, stones, posts, fences and wires all fine just feeders that are a no no and good background on this one

I wasn't aware there was much difference between male and female, in fact Collins says in practice sexes are alike in the field, so how have you ID this as a male ?
              There is no foolproof way to sex Goldfinches but as a breeder of British hardbills for many years you lesrn to recognise subtle differences between the sexes. The two main ones being the extent of the red mask on the face and the volume and colour of the hairs above the top mandible. In the vast majority of males ( not 100% ) the red mask extends back beyond the eye whereas more often than not in females it stops before it gets to the end . In males the small hairs over the upper mandible are quite noticeable and always jet black in colour whereas in females they are much less pronounced and a washed out brown colour . Overall males just look to have more pronounced features than females but having said all that I have bred many males and females which did not conform to these distictions but it is a pretty good indicator.
              Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                Can not say I am that put off by the Perch , lovely light on him Steve .
                Thanks Mark
                Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

all i can say is occams razor has a rival ,cracker m8

Comment

Wow, nice and sharp Steve

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      all i can say is occams razor has a rival ,cracker m8
                      Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                      Wow, nice and sharp Steve

Tom
                      Thanks Jeff and Tom
                      Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Working...
                      X