• Show
Clear All

Black Winged Stilt

1/2500, f8, ISO 400, 280mm

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Black Winged Stilt

It's a picture of a bird and, other than well composed and exposed, any further critique would be best left to others Except to say I'm constantly impressed by the strangeness to be found in nature with this little fella seemingly being a composite of disparate parts

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Thanks for looking John

flickr

Comment

Remember seeing these in South of France. Rather nice image.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Super photo Stan ,but I can't understand why you have just posted it with no context when and where taken etc afraid without that bit of information it just becomes yet another bird photo .

Comment

Nice sharp, well exposed shot and I like the inclusion of the shadow, although it is a bit close to the edge.
            I also agree with Jeff's comment. Without any text, it almost seems that you're asking for id confirmation.

John

Comment

Nice shot at TV2500.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

cheers guys

but I can't understand why you have just posted it with no context when and where taken etc afraid without that bit of information it just becomes yet another bird photo
                rather like a number of yours and others posts Jeff, ie just a shot with no other information whatsoever (waxwings, blackbird etc).

Yes, I normally include information but this is a captive bird and I wanted to use it just to test out who would comment based on the merits of the shot and not how or where it was taken

flickr

Comment

Like it Stan

Comment

In that case it goes down the list stan ,I always state whether a bird is captive . Something I rarely shoot ,taking captive birds or animals is fine as long as it's declared as such ,otherwise we might as well all go to the zoo and lie to everyone that we have been to Africa .
                    Yes it's a super picture Stan .but no skill involved unless you smoothed out the sand with a broom LOL

Comment

Firstly, I would say if I had taken a photo in a zoo, though the nature section doesn't differentiate between them. However, if this photo had been of a wild bird at a local nature reserve, would it have been more difficult photographically wise. You just set tv or av, point the camera and auto focus does the rest. In some ways in can be more difficult in a zoo because you don't always have best of backgrounds to deal with. I recently put up a kingfisher picture. It was taken on a nature reserve where I knew there would be a reasonable chance of kingfisher sighting. The hide is actually a children's education classroom which the kingfishers have nested adjacent to. It has a thick glass window and I sat back about 2m from it, to keep out of sight, the bird turned up, I pointed the lens towards it and clicked but there was no particular skill involved.

John

Comment

thanks Dave

John, I already stated why I did not give any information about the shot and I think I proved that stating "in a Zoo" etc would have immediately excluded some from making a comment - which is quite sad, as for me whether captive or otherwise I always look to comment purely based on the merits of the shot. As to skill, agree the bird is presented to you and you don't have to search it our but there is just as much skill involved to get an acceptable, sharp image and a good composition with no distractions in the background - the latter a fault (as far as I am concerned) with many shots of wild birds.

flickr

Comment

Well taken Stan

Tom

Comment

Thanks for looking Tom

flickr

Comment

Well, captive or not, the image itself ticks all the boxes:-

* Sharp
                              * Well exposed
                              * Catchlight in the eye
                              * Unobtrusive background
                              * Silly walk
                              Chris
                              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                              X