Environmental Robin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environmental Robin

Following on from my comments about shooting a robin, thought I would post this one to illustrate what I meant. It is another shot from the country park and in fact is probably the same robin I caught in flight. The perch is a very large log which was bent at 90 degrees, which enabled me to prop it up against a tree stump around 4 or 5 metres from the bushes shrubs and fallen leaves on the ground and hidden out of sight behind the log is a small container of seed to bring the birds out from the foliage.

So the result is a robin in its natural environment, ie a moss covered log and natural background but with nothing in the frame to distract the eye from the subject

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Environmental Robin

That is indeed a corner!

I doubt anyone is trying to say that your comments aren't valid regarding the background of a shot, but I, certainly and I'm sure others, are often limited by time, especially this time of year with very short days. I'd love to have the time (and forethought, although at least I know something to try!) to "set the stage" as you did for this one.

However, as someone (Jeff, I think) said earlier, for some of us it's better to get a shot with a dodgy background than no shot at all. This is especially true for me at the beginning of my photography where I'm still trying for any sharp shots of birds, regardless of backdrop.

If I one day manage to get shots as good as yours on a regular basis I'll be a happy photographer.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

super shot stan ,and given the time and place one thats easy to replicate .not sure that its worth the effort for a robin though .mine yesterday was a pure and simple test shot as i had been having trouble with camera not working (turned out to be dirty contacts as i had borrowed a old 5d off my lad) and the dirt must have transferred on the lens contacts ..

personally i prefer to do your type of shots but finding a quiet area at this time of year is hard with the kiddywinks off school ,plus a lot of people have started there xmas hols .

the other thing your failing to point out to beginners though is the fact that you can often alter the background very simply (especially if close to subject) by just opening the lens up wide i.e to maximum aperture

Comment

As always Stan, it's a nice, clean, sharp, well exposed shot but I don't see anything particularly environmental about it. Jeff's shot was far more 'environmental' as far as I'm concerned. You like a certain type of shot and that's fine but you seem to think everyone on the forum should be following your style.

John

Comment

cheers guys

.not sure that its worth the effort for a robin though .mine yesterday was a pure and simple test shot as i had been having trouble with camera not working
          it was set up for the nuthatches, coal tits etc and a robin just happened to be there as well. It was purely posted with an explanation to show just how easy it is to shoot robins with no distractions. In regard to your shot being a test, well you mentioned nothing about that just that it was the best from the day so I assumed you wanted critique

his is especially true for me at the beginning of my photography where I'm still trying for any sharp shots of birds, regardless of backdrop

that is a fair point if you are a beginner, we all have to start somewhere and when I started 9 years ago I would have been quite happy just to get a shot but by posting on forums, in particular the forerunner to this EOS forum on which there were a few really experienced wildlife photographers including a couple of professionals and one of the main things I learnt from them was to try and ensure that there was nothing in the frame which drew the viewers attention away from the subject - it is often something that comes across in advice in various of the photography magazines

the other thing your failing to point out to beginners though is the fact that you can often alter the background very simply (especially if close to subject) by just opening the lens up wide i.e to maximum aperture
          not always necessary when you are using a long lens as the dof tends to be quite narrow and provided you ensure there is a reasonable distance between the subject and background trees etc, then the background will be clear. I usually try and shoot at around f8 and only open up the aperture if the shutter speed needs to be faster

y
          ou seem to think everyone on the forum should be following your style
          it is a critique forum John and I am only passing on the advice I have been given over the years from those who know what they are doing and it is of course up to the individual to act on or ignore it. No good purpose is served by just saying great shot to everything. When responding I do try and find something positive to say but inclue suggestions which may improve a shot for next time
          Last edited by Stan; 23-12-2016, 12:06.

flickr

Comment

Well executed shot of a robin Stan. Not going to get involved in the discussion as I agree that it's up to the individual.
            http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

all i was pointing out stanley is theres more than one way to skin a cat .if everyone conformed to your modus operandi i,m afraid this section would be rather boring , on the other forum you mentioned earlier a group of 3 or 4 lads and there associated hangers on tried to dictate exactly the method your suggesting ,which resulted in a lot of in house fighting and resulted in the whole bunch being banned for life .we don't really need or want that happening on here .

so lets just leave it at everyone has there own style and let people judge for themselves what they perceive in a photo.

Comment

A very well taken image Stan.

Tom

Comment

thanks Brian and Tom

stan

flickr

Comment

Superb image Stan.

Bill.
                    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

A very nice image Stan.
                      Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

thanks Bill and Patrick

flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X