Small birds with new lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small birds with new lens

I succumbed to a Sigma 150-600 C at the Photography Show and have been hoping to give it a good trial, but the weather has not been of the best since. However, I have managed a few shots - I have an awful feeling that they are slightly soft - what think the rest of you?

New lens Robin by John Liddle, on Flickr

New lens Goldfinch by John Liddle, on Flickr

New lens Blackcap by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Small birds with new lens

Very sharp and clear. Well done.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

They look good to me - I'd be pleased with them anyway! Perhaps try a shutter speed of at least 1/600th when at the full 600mm reach?

Failing that, I'm sure Jeff will be along soon to explain micro-adjustment
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Look pretty damn good to me!

Regards Paul

Comment

Robin and the Blackcap look OK but agree the Goldie looks a little soft
          Steve ( LSINWP )
          1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Yep as Steve says the top and bottom shots are fine with good fine detail ,the goldfinch shot if you look closely the green shoot in front of the bird has grabbed the focus but it's sharp enough so ,I wouldn't worry at all .
            There is a art to these long lenses you have to ensure your shutter speed is either high enough for a sharp shot or you will find that at really slow shutter speeds the i.s takes over ,it's weird but you get used to it .also depending on camera the actual size of the focus box can throw some shots out .give yourself time

Further to that I have just looked at your exif data and shutter speeds are a tad slow ,the bottom shot is pin sharp but d.o.f at f6.3 is very shallow ,once light levels pick up try to keep at f8 .
            Last edited by the black fox; 22-03-2017, 17:00.

Comment

Agree with the other comments. That Sigma lens certainly looks the business.
              http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Not bad as first go. Light obviously not helping. Needs a little bit of practice too.

Have recently looked at MA of my Contemporary on my 5D3 and only gave +2 at 600mm. Maybe something to check if you feel things aren't quite right. Must stress though you need to get use to the lens first.

Well worth getting USB dock to tweak some of the settings as they improve functionality and the FW may need updating too.

Plenty of images in my Flickr taken with this combo.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

like no 3

Comment

nice shots john , stick with it have same learning curve with my sport version, have been helped by Black Fox and things are looking up, very easy for blades of grass etc to grab focus, as stated by the others.

Comment

Not to bad.

Tom

Comment

Thank you to everyone who looked and especially to those who provided encouragement and critique.

I realise that the exposure time of 1/400 was a little on the long side for the length of lens, but since it was tripod-mounted I hoped that I might get away with it. I also realise that I was asking a lot by having the lens wide open, but the light conditions required that if I was to avoid excessive ISO levels.

I guess I may have been a little over-critical in my initial assessment of the results and so I look forward to more amenable weather and the chance to give the lens more of a workout.
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                        X