eflective Swan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eflective Swan.

As I have been taught on here, tried to focus on the eye. BUT, now the body is blown, how do I adjust for this in camera. Help please. Dave
    IMG_2243 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Re: eflective Swan.

Should be Reflective Swan.

Comment

Hi Dave

You'll probable get lots of answers,but here's one thing that might help(or not!).

Its probably the camera compensating for the darker background thus the reason you are getting a slightly overexposed swan.

I do a lot of cricket and have to be really careful with the whites and one of the main problems is the actual background as it fools the cameras meter reading.

If they are playing against a dark or light background i usually adjust my setting accordingly by using +/- compensation.

If the whites of the cricketer start to appear to bright i under expose(-) the camera setting, and i over expose(+) if they become a little dark.

Sorry for a long winded answer but in reality it takes 2 seconds to adjust, using the Q button then adjust the +/-as required.

It's always a balancing act with light and shadows.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul, very helpful.

Comment

Dave if your camera is one of the Canon models with the large wheel on the back , I believe by turning it one way or the other , will either add or minus the compensation . It should tell you whats happening at the bottom of the viewfinder , it`s also worth looking up the highlight alert warning , which will tell you if the highlights are blowing . And importantly Don`t forget to reset it to zero when your finished taking your photos .

Comment

Yep; negative EC is the way to go, then bring the darks/shadows up in Post-Processing; there's no other way round these high-contrast scenes.
            EXIF says this was shot with a 700D which has a dedicated EC button (marked Av +/-). See pages 115-119 of the user manual...
            Cheers;
            Lee
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

focussing on the eye has nothing to do with the exposure which is seperate and as said the camera will look at the various tones and if overall they are biased towards the darker side then the camera will overexpose to make those look like mid tones and as a result any bright or white areas will be blown out. To sort it you need to dial in , for swans etc around -1 exposure compensation, take a shot and look at the histogram and then edjust if necessary
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

I knew I would get plenty of help here, thanks all.

Comment

I think you have your answers David, so I will just say, you have found an interesting subject, I hope you can keep returning

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X