sand martin fly past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sand martin fly past

taken in really poor light today ,so i'm well pleased with the ability of the 1D4 ability to keep up with a/f ,still struggling a bit with white balance and exposure compensation but slowly getting there ,its a lot more sensitive than previous cameras in those respects .might have to go to manual exp mode to get over this one ,but need to practise more .so watch this space .
    and BTW hand held at 600mm with the sigma sport

not easy by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Re: sand martin fly past

Lovely capture. The 1D MKIV and big Sigma seem to be working well together.
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      Lovely capture. The 1D MKIV and big Sigma seem to be working well together.
      i have had it for about 8 weeks colin but not had the time to really play with it till now ,and though well used to a 1D3 this is a different beast altogether ,so still playing with various settings ,the weather closing in again isn't helping either .considering the above shot was a at least 90% crop as well i'm rather chuffed with the outcome. this is the next shot in the burst unedited and uncropped so you can realise the size of crop and get to realise why i'm pleased
      uncropped next frame by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
      Last edited by the black fox; 27-06-2017, 22:38.

Comment

If it's of any help, when I had the 1D MKIV I nearly always used manual exposure and back button focus. I never had problems with white balance though. AWB always seemed to deliver the goods.
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          If it's of any help, when I had the 1D MKIV I nearly always used manual exposure and back button focus. I never had problems with white balance though. AWB always seemed to deliver the goods.
          I think it's more to do with learning to trust the camera Colin ,more field time needed .

Comment

Did well there Jeff considering all the factors ie light , distance and not least a small fast flying bird
            Steve ( LSINWP )
            1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawesy View Post
              Did well there Jeff considering all the factors ie light , distance and not least a small fast flying bird
              this ^
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Excellent piece of work. Have tried to photograph these birds and know how difficult it is.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                  Excellent piece of work. Have tried to photograph these birds and know how difficult it is.
                  Me too. Did manage some record shots of a leucitic one flying around our village last summer but not easy.

John

Comment

thanks for the comments lads ,what did surprise me was the actual amount of keepers ,despite the poor light so looking good .

Comment

Well captured. not easy even in good conditions.
                      Canon 70D; Canon 500D; Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C; Sigma 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C; Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM; Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM; Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS; Canon Speedlite 430EXII; Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Ring Lite; Canon Powershot SX40HS

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X