Peregrine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peregrine

Don't want to harp on this but why is so important not to see the jesse on captive bird photographs, if they are captive you would expect them to have jesse's. What is wrong with a little bit of leather attached to its leg showing
    No one thinks twice about photographing a wild bird with a ring on it leg, or attempts to clone t out.
    Just curious!
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

thanks Nat

Don't want to harp on this but why is so important not to see the jesse on captive bird photographs, if they are captive you would expect them to have jesse's. What is wrong with a little bit of leather attached to its leg showing
      No one thinks twice about photographing a wild bird with a ring on it leg, or attempts to clone t out.
      in many respects it depends for what purpose you are taking a photograph, is is just for a record of the particular bird or are you after a clean image with nothing to distract from the subject

There is nothing wrong with either but when I am shooting I fall into the second group. I mostly shoot wild birds and accept and dont worry about birds that have been ringed, I am more concerned about looking for a clean background - generally the rings are small and unobtrusive so dont distract at all but captive birds are different and on this shoot all the birds were fitted with jesses on both legs, so big that for the most part they covered most of the leg and were the first thing the eye was drawn to, so they either had to go, which was not possible as there was no clear leg for replacement or as I did look for the angle where they were not visible

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
        What is wrong with a little bit of leather attached to its leg
        Wondered where you were leading us just for a moment there Trev.

John

Comment

Thanks Stan.

NOW NOW John. I suppose you could say captive birds are into bondage
          Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Depends on the sort of bondage!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I am with Stan on this one.

The majority of my work is with wild birds and animals, but there are occasions when I shoot captive ones. With captive ones, I will generally remove any man made paraphernalia, as it will nearly always be a distraction and cause unnecessary comment, especially from judges. Like Stan, I will comment that Jesses have been removed, or otherwise note that the subject was captive and in that fashion, there is obviously no intention to deceive the viewer.

Where the photographer removes paraphernalia and goes on to state, or imply, that the subject was wild rather than captive, they are crossing the line to censure and it wasn't too many years ago that an International Wildlife Photographer of the Year was caught out and stripped of his title and award.

Why all the fuss? Well generally for captive species, you pay your entrance fee and there they are. Whether you get a great photo or not is down to you. With wildlife, you can go weeks and weeks without seeing your quarry, or you can be lucky first time out. But it's reasonable to state that the more research you do, the more experience you have and the more fieldcraft you exercise .............. the luckier you get.
              Colin

Comment

Perhaps Robert should create a separate section for captive birds and animal photography, would solve the problems that have arisen.
                Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Perhaps Robert should create a separate section for captive birds and animal photography, would solve the problems that have arisen.
                  The current system has worked well enough since the Forum started and as far as I am aware, this is the first time that a misunderstanding has occurred.

When we converse in real life, we have what is said, the way it is said, the tone with which it is said, the facial expression that accompanies the remark and the body language. You would have to be pretty dim to misinterpret what was being said with all of those supporting clues. However, when you type something and publish it, there are none of those other supporting clues and if you haven't been quite so diplomatic as you could have been, it is very easy to cause a misunderstanding, or offence without meaning to.

And I believe that is what we have here. A quickly typed response not designed to cause offence, but not carefully crafted and it did cause offence. I am also a little surprised that Stan reacted how he did, especially as some of his responses could be described as a little undiplomatic at times.

I think the lesson for all of us is possibly to read our remarks before we press the send button and ask ourselves if our response is in keeping with the friendly nature of this Forum.
                  Last edited by colin C; 10-07-2017, 19:21.
                  Colin

Comment

Been down that road before Trev not particularly successful so best just to move on and continue enjoying our hobby and sharing the fruits of our labour.
                    Steve ( LSINWP )
                    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Colin, spot on

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X