playing around in photoshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

playing around in photoshop

not been out over xmas so having a play around in photoshop before I get dragged around the sales ,interesting playing with the bits I normally don't touch in p/p

pushing the limits by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Re: playing around in photoshop

if I'm honest Jeff I prefer your photos not played with in PS - The whites look odd, assume its front is white and its got a bit of halo....

with photos of your quality you don't need PS
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      with photos of your quality you don't need PS
      Never true! Respectfully Ian, there is always something that can be done in PS!!! Even if you don't go the full monty! Although I do have to agree with Ian that maybe you haven't quite hit the nail on the head on this one Jeff.

Don't get me wrong, I think your photographs are awesome. But there are so many ways you could approach this in PS - I would start with duplicating it, changing the blend mode to soft light, and reducing the opacity. I would look at curves and levels, and then think about a gradient map. I might do some dodging and burning. I would think about using Topaz Impressions. Could be oodles of fun to be had there. Certainly more than going to the sales!!!

Best

Richard
      Last edited by rcarca; 27-12-2017, 11:44.
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

yes I can see your point Richard and agree
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Nothing wrong with experimenting, never know what you may learn.

Happy New Year.

Brian
          http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Thanks for the comments ,probably wasn’t the sharpest or best pose to play with ,I certainly won’t make it a habit but the tools are there and it’s always worth learning which does what ,sometimes with wildlife I throw away nearly right images due to minor problems that can’t be solved by normal cropping or cloning due to messy backgrounds foregrounds etc .so although its best to get it right in camera if possible sometimes it’s good to learn something new

Comment

Whilst I strive to get everything nailed up tight in the camera, my workflow takes the image into RAW for a few tweeks and then into Photoshop for some final polish. It is surprising how little work is required to turn a good shot into a very good image.
              Colin

Comment

I'm of the don't over do the PS, might lift some shadows and crop to get a better composition, then save as a jpeg and that's usually all I do.
                Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

I'm of the don't over do the PS
                  Quite right too.

My mantra for Photoshop is: Just do what you need to .................. not what you can!
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    Quite right too.

My mantra for Photoshop is: Just do what you need to .................. not what you can!
                    Well, I can’t sit quiet here! That all rather depends on your purpose! Are we talking about photograph of record, photograph with artistic merit or a photo artistic creation. To suggest that only one is valid is a rather sad and limiting statement...

Comment

Perhaps Jeff could let us each have a copy of the original RAW file, and then we can compare end results!!!

Comment

Well, I can’t sit quiet here! That all rather depends on your purpose! Are we talking about photograph of record, photograph with artistic merit or a photo artistic creation. To suggest that only one is valid is a rather sad and limiting statement...
                        Fair comment.

I should have mentioned that I also like to play.
                        Colin

Comment

I guess it's like HDR or even B&W, some love it and some don't, togging is only another form of art and we all know about the "eye of the beholder" thingy.
                          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Working...
                          X