Garden Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Birds

Not a subject I generally do, as I seem to have been seduced by the bigger stuff with tallons. In many respects, these little blighters are even harder to get a decent shot of and they are so small, that even big lenses need the help of a converter to get a decent image size.

The first is with a 1.4x and the second is with a 2x. I am not normally a great fan of the 2x and tend to use it as "Emergency only", but in the right light, with the right settings, it can turn in some very sharp pictures.

Colin
    Colin

Re: Garden Birds

The "master" strikes again...
    Not bad for someone who normally "hunts with the Raptors"...
    I am so glad you find these little blighters so tricky as I sat in the woods the other day for what seemed like an eternity to catch some Robins and Blue tits in a place where I feed them daily so they are used to me being there. The dog snoring (he got bored) was what finished my attempt.

Two great shots with beautiful "plain" backgrounds to emphasise the birds. Nice feather detail in the back and tail of the Tit.

David
    Last edited by djguk47; 29-03-2011, 16:12. Reason: speeling
    David

Comment

Very nice Colin
      By the looks of the background the light was cr..p for the chaffinch but the blue tit looks just perfect, the 2x has done a great job in capturing a lot of detail

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Our garden is teeming with finches and tits this year. I am planning on making a hide soon.

The chaffinches are very pretty
        ef-r

Comment

Now's the time Brian.

They are at their best for the breeding season and their plumage and posture deteriorates during the season.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

I have to do some chopping trees to get the clearing first. SWMBO has that as a low priority so it is back to bread crumbs and nuts for this spring. However I do get swallows nesting in my stables
            ef-r

Comment

Both nice images Colin of little birds that never sit still for long, not sure why you don't like the x2, the Blue Tit is great, plenty of feather detail and the colour rendition is superb imho.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                I have to do some chopping trees to get the clearing first. SWMBO has that as a low priority so it is back to bread crumbs and nuts for this spring. However I do get swallows nesting in my stables
                How about the camera on a tripod and use a wireless remote, no need for the hide and tree chopping. I have found that a peanut stuck in a hole of a branch keeps the 'little blighters' in the same place for quite a while

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                  How about the camera on a tripod and use a wireless remote, no need for the hide and tree chopping. I have found that a peanut stuck in a hole of a branch keeps the 'little blighters' in the same place for quite a while
                  Good idea - but not sure that I can guarantee they will only go to one place. The land is a bit over grown so will have to make a clearing anyway.

My first love is butterflies - so that will be my priority anyway. The land has been insecticide free for 25 years so there is a wide variety of species of fauna to take pictures of. The big challenge will be panned swallows

For this year if I can get pictures like the ones posted by Colin I will be pleased.
                  ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    The big challenge will be panned swallows
                    When you manage that .............. please teach me!

You are now one reply off your 2,000 post, so congrats in advance.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                      When you manage that .............. please teach me!

You are now one reply off your 2,000 post, so congrats in advance.

Colin
                      Thank you
                      ef-r

Comment

Lovey shots Colin,especially the blue tit.

Comment

Do like number two.

Missed a chance today, family have been out and got to watch a falcon display... I'm at home "housebound" with a chest infection... and missed the lot. Now totally fed up with myself.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Oh Bless!

Get better soon.

If it's any consolation, I didn't get out either ............ working on drains ........... very stinky!

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              Oh Bless!

Get better soon.

If it's any consolation, I didn't get out either ............ working on drains ........... very stinky!

Colin
                              Thank you.

Hope you got the drain problem solved.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X