Pied wagtail at 420mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pied wagtail at 420mm

Sorry folks - a massive "Senior Moment". This is of course a Pied Woodpecker! (a bit bigger than a "Pied Wagtail"

Hengistbury Head is proving quite productive at the moment, no Herons or Egrets today, just missed the Green Woodpeckers, saw my first Stonechats of the year (male / female pairing), lots of Greenfinch etc but best of all, as I was leaving this Pied Woodpecker arrived (not sure which version?)

As I was there to try out my 70-300 LIS + 1.4xTC on the 550D body it was a good test subject. It was at extreme range (this is a full size crop of about 20% of the original) but I think its not too bad in detail and colour. Shot using single point focus with AF, manual exposure, single shot at ISO 400 and post processed to bring back around 1.5 stop of under-exposure (so its a bit noisy)

So, over to the jury - what do you reckon?

Last edited by oldcanon; 04-04-2011, 16:14. Reason: put wrong version of image up nad wrong intial title
    My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Re: Pied wagtail at 420mm

Nice shot. Very nice. Regret that I did not visit the Dorset area more often when I was working in the Hampshire area for approx 10 years!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I am curious as to the make and model of the 1.4x converter you used as Canon state the lens will not work with theirs

Comment

its the Kenko pro300 DGX 1.4X, works a treat. The canon converters won't physically fit (the rear element of the lens is too far back) and the Kenko DG doesn't consistently work with the 70-300 LIS in my experience. (Another benefit of the DGX for me is that it also works with the canon 100 f2.8 LIS macro)

Have a look on my foliopic site for some more examples of it in use
        Last edited by oldcanon; 04-04-2011, 17:26.
        My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

Comment

Many thaks for the info I only had the Kenko DG so may look to upgrade, I had used the DG on my 100 macro and found it OK if used in manual which is what I would normally be working with.

Comment

Yes, the DG is OK for manual but from my experience I couldn't get it to AF at all with the 100 LIS and only inconsistently with the 70-300 LIS, which is why I traded in my DG and got the DGX

Comment

Working...
            X