Puffin with Sand Eels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffin with Sand Eels

I took a drive to a place called the Bullers of Buchan on the NE coastline of Scotland where there were reports of Puffins being present.
    I decided to experiment with my work's camera (400D) to see the effect my 300 f4 + 1.4 extender would have on a cropped sensor.
    I was just about to pack up when this Puffin appeared with a beak full of Sand Eels.

Conclusion of experiment - as I can't afford a longer lens, perhaps going back to a crop sensor camera is the answer for wildlife photography

Puffin 1 by mike.stephen99, on Flickr
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Re: Puffin with Sand Eels

Mike,

A bit surprised you have had no comments, it's a nice catch in difficult circumstances by the look of it, a shame you couldn't get lower and look up at what looks like a lovely bird with a great expression and colour.

I think I would have been tempted to crop some off the Right hand side and perhaps go more portrait, overall though better than any of my bird shots

Regards Paul

Comment

There are a lot on this forum using the 300f4 +1.4 with a 7D - perhaps that is te way to go - unless you want to go the 1D3 route?

Very nice picture
      ef-r

Comment

Thanks Guys.
        I had kinda given up on this one although I didn't think it was that bad

Paul
        I did take a few in portrait format but I wanted to show the Puffin at its clifftop location, ie at it's burrow.
        Perhaps a wee bit off the RHS as you quite rightly say would help.

Brian
        The 1D3 is my camera of choice when shooting wildlife. I was amazed at the difference between the 1.3 & 1.6 crop sensors.
        I was/am tempted by the 7D but then my 1D3 would probably be redundant.
        With the 18Mp sensor and the subject filling more of the sensor I could probably crop more than I can with the 1D3.
        7D's seem to be like hen's teeth at the moment - a lot of dealers have them on back order.

Thanks again for commenting - I don't feel like Billy Nomates now

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Sometimes, for whatever reason, it can take a while for a thread to take off. That doesn't mean that nobody loves you.

Good puffin shot and it still amazes me that they can hold so many sand eals, even though I know they have a cantilever jaw.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Working...
          X