Pheasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant

Rare that I post anything these days and even rarer that it be a bird as it's not really my genre but I'm posting this one more for opinion than critique. This pheasant seems to have taken up residence with us as we've been seeing him nearly every day for a month. He's quite content grazing on overspill from the bird feeders and extra grain I put out but I'm concerned about what his chances are should he come face to face with one of the many neighbourhood cats (I chased one away recently as it was clearly stalking it).

Pheasant by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Great shot John. He's more than likely come from one of the 'shoots' in your area at this time of the year - taking refuge. I've got seven or eight in a similar situation that have come in over the past month to join our resident pheasants, all taking their pick under the feeders. They can usually handle cats and can put up a good fight or take to the wing.

PS. You got one now be prepared for him to invite his mates over
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Good looking pheasant John, surprised Trev is giving you advise on looking after pheasants and not shooting them like what I do if they come in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
        Good looking pheasant John, surprised Trev is giving you advise on looking after pheasants and not shooting them like what I do if they come in the garden.
        David the only two creatures I keep at bay are Grey Squirrels and Brown Rats
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

So it’s just me John, any pheasant that enters my garden is mine for the table and the remains go in the field for the Buzzard.

Comment

Thanks folks

Pheasants are such a rarity here (I live with a town behind me and the sea in front) and I've only seen one before which was trotting happily along the railway which is probably the route this one took so he's a welcome guest. I don't know where the nearest shoot is but it's going to be well out in the country. I've no qualms about eating them but he's welcome to use our garden as a sanctuary even if he does bring a few mates over as, compared to the seagulls we have to endure, they'd be no trouble. Glad to hear he won't be worried by the local gang of feline thugs but I think a fox is about so his days may yet be numbered.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Lovely captured photo.
              Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
              X