Misty Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misty Owl

I have a Camera Club Competition coming up and the set subject is "Smoke, Fog or Mist". I am allowed two entries and I have a more standard foggy landscape image, but I also like to stretch the boundaries a little and I was thinking of entering this one. There is a fair bit of post editing to get the effect I wanted, but what do you think? Does it meet the criteria, or am I pushing the limits too far?

Colin Cross_Misty Owl_070524 by colin cross, on Flickr
    Colin

It's really difficult to predict judges... If the judge interprets the subject as being strictly the mist itself - a bit limiting I'd say - then you might be pushing it but if the interpretation is as much about the effects of mist/smoke and/or subjects in the mist I reckon it's fine.

Frankly it's such a cracking picture I say go for it - this shot needs to be seen whether the judge likes it or not.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Personally Colin I would say Yes. In fact to me it looks more like a drawing, but there, that's from someone who don't spend time processing pictures. and knows very little about it.
      As a shot it's fantastic, would love to see the original.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

As has been said.....Judges are a funny breed !
        If it were a Natural History competition I don't think you'd get away with it. An open or themed competition should be good to go though. I'd score it well, great photo with pleasing post production
        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

An excellent shot Colin, you'll have to let us know what the judges comments are.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I really like this image a lot, the only thing which for my eye isn't quite right, is the intensity of the colour in the plumage on the owl's head, the colour on the wing is perfectly believable and well balanced, but the head is too saturated for the rest of the pale colouring of the bird. What a cracking image to have on your wall, best of luck in the competition and it would be interested to hear what the judge thinks.
            Last edited by Wrinklyrocker; 28-03-2024, 11:08.

Comment

A super pic Colin, I’d go for it, as Nigel says judges are an unpredictable lot. I submit pics that I like, sometimes they like them and sometimes not!

ian
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

It's a cracking piece of work. As has been said hard to guess the reaction of judges sometimes.

For me I'd definitely go for it, suspect it will cause a bit of discussion in the club anyway.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

If a paying client ordered a shot of smoke fog or mist then you wouldn’t submit this….on the other hand I have no experience of club competitions…..It’s a great image. Good luck.
                  Last edited by @imagesBV; 28-03-2024, 21:23.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                  X