Mist, Fog and Smoke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mist, Fog and Smoke.

I mentioned in a previous post that this image was going to be submitted in a set subject "Mist, Fog and Smoke" competition. It was judged last night, by a very good Judge who I respect. He raved about the image and had no negative comments, but he didn't mark it highly. He awarded a Highly Commended, so it didn't get on the podium as it were and when he announced his mark there were a number of intakes of breath from the membership, possibly mine as well.

Colin Cross_Misty Owl_070524 by colin cross, on Flickr

Now we come to the overall winner of the evening which was this image.

C18I8233b by colin cross, on Flickr

Now, I am not overly upset by the result, because the second image was also mine, so overall a good result. However, as with all of us I carry baggage with each image I take. The Owl image took a great deal of effort, skill and luck to obtain the original image and then further effort with post editing to get the look I wanted and equally, to make it eligible for the competition subject. The Riverboat was almost a snapshot. I saw it, grabbed the camera, composed and shot. That was it. I had a lot invested in the Owl image and hardly any in the Ferryboat image, so sub-consciously, I rated the Owl much more than the Ferryboat and I often find it difficult to rank one of my images against another. This is why I often ask Mrs C for her opinion. She has little interest in photography, subject matter, composition etc. etc. She prefers this one over that one and doesn't care why ............ she just does! On this particular subject, she preferred the Ferryman over the Owl, because it reminded her of a very nice holiday in China.
    Colin

I think it often comes down to the judges primary photographic interests - if they are really into nature then NH pics do well and similarly for landscape or portraiture or travel freaks. This is not to say they are necessarily biased or bad judges - just that I suspect they are more likely to favour their pet subject when making the final decision. Of course the Ferryboat pic also has the near obligatory splash of red...

For me it remains Ferryboat good, Owl best...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Two great images Colin. However Mrs C has obviously got great taste in preferring the Ferry boat, so do I. Well done Mrs C
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I am in agreement with Mrs C and Trev, mainly because you had to do a lot of work on the owl, compared to the more natural ferry.
        As for judging I look up the judges work before submitting an image and try to have work of a similar nature. Never works, but I try.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
          However Mrs C has obviously got great taste in preferring the Ferry boat, so do I. Well done Mrs C
          Traitor!!!

I naturally assumed there would some camaraderie amongst those of us oppressed by superior beings!

Colin

Comment

Both excellent images Colin, but I tend to favour the owl.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I can understand where you're coming from. I once put so much effort into an image that, still to this day, is the image I'm probably most proud of. I entered it into a competition and the the judges response was that the image grabbed his attention straight away and he kept going back to it and found that he couldn't stop looking at it. I thought I was onto a winner. When it came to the results, didn't even land in the commended section and scored a 6 . I was devastated. His overall score was based on the fact that he scored it above average because he didn't really know how it was done on a technical basis, but said that after a while it gave him a 'bad head' after that I stopped entering club competitions. Confidence totally knocked.

I love both of these pictures and from my point of view, both are worthy of a win. In terms of looking at the images. The ferryboat is an image I would happily see on my computer as the desktop background (you know them images that show up from windows when loading up the laptop) and the owl picture is something I'd have above the fireplace!

I also ask my partner what she prefers and if she thinks I've over edited things!

Congratulations on the win though

Comment

I think you have two great images here......the fact that you managed to get a great shot with what appears little effort undermines your experience and expertise in being able to 'grab' the shot...combining your camera skills, vision and composition.....the average Joe whould produce a poor composition, probably on the tilt, cropped mast, no balance and disregard for the reflection - and only exposed correctly because of the firmware baked into their point and shoot.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Both absolutely cracking images and each would be worthy winners in competitions.

Having a thing about bird photography the owl certainly grabs my attention.

The Riverboat is a superb image and I'd be mightily pleased to have taken it.

As to choosing between them, well that's always going to be hard and I'd not envy the judge.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Colin - I think they are both outstanding images and I would not care to choose between them.

My only advice would be that you should just carry on pleasing yourself about what is good and what might not be quite so good.

Remember, those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                    X