Gustavo the Labrador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gustavo the Labrador

I'm new to the forum after stumbling across it whilst searching for nuggets of information after purchasing a Rebel T5 (1200D) on a recent holiday with the excess of money left over.

It's the first SLR I've owned so any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated.

EOS Rebel T5 (1200D)
    18-55mm f/5.6 IS @ 53mm
    ISO-320 & 1/8'

Regards

Dan.
    Last edited by danlyuchenko; 16-12-2014, 20:35.
    flickr

EOS Rebel T5 (1200D) | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC

Wishlist: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD and an EOS 5D III to sit it on.

Re: Gustavo the Labrador

Hi Dan ...welcome

I would suggest setting up a flirkr account as that will help you uploading images onto the forum

Nice dog photo but I don't think the blinds aren't helping - also whilst you got pretty low I would have tried to get lower

hope to cya around
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dan.

Bill.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dan. Not sure if how you posted the image, or the size you exported it to, but it seems to be very soft. When exporting to view on the forum you should be 800 px on the long side

Tom

Comment

Dan
          Firstly, welcome to the forum. In clicking through to the original, that is a really nice first image to post. I do like the composition, and the very tight depth of field with out of focus paw is good. Are you hand holding at 1/8 sec? A couple of suggestions if I may:
          As Ian says, the blinds are a bit of a distraction and shame they cover one ear. But I guess you didn't want to disturb Gustavo as he slept.
          Secondly, your focus seems to be more on his nose than his eye (even though this is closed). This does mean that in the image his whiskers have come out nice and sharp, but it still feels in the wrong place.
          Hope that helps, and looking forward to seeing more of your work.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Oh. I rather like that. Is it a favourite place for him to take a nap? Sun bathing infront of the window? My dog as a tendency to have her head under the coffee table other wise I would try a shot like this.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Ian, I could have got lower but that would have meant moving the bed I was clambering over and no doubt would have woken him up. I have however used your suggestion on a recent trip and I like the shot I got. I'll try and post that later.

Tom, I'll remember to set all pics up at 800px from now, and I'll try and sort another host.

Alex, I agree with yourself and Ian regarding the blinds, hopefully as I take more images I'll get a better understanding of what will work or how to make something work. I chose to focus on his nose as I liked the sharpness of all the details similar to our finger prints.

Di, to be fair once he's had his trip up the local common he will lie absolutely anywhere. That picture was about as quite I'd seen him, he's 9 months and normally like a child on E numbers!
              flickr

EOS Rebel T5 (1200D) | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC

Wishlist: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD and an EOS 5D III to sit it on.

Comment

welcome dan ,we try to be a helpful bunch on here so if you need help just ask. a flickr account is free you only have to sign up to a yahoo e-mail address to join and you get 1tb of storage ,in perspective i have nearly 5000 photos on there and its less than 1% full

Comment

Working...
                X