Grainy mess or arty capture??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grainy mess or arty capture??

Interested to hear thoughts on this one....I caught this shot of a friends dog right at the very end yesterday under nothing but very poor sodium light with my iso maxed out and it was absolutely destroyed. I knew I was clutching at straws even bothering to hit the button, but somehow I really like the effect it has left me with after salvaging what I can from it. The dogs owner really likes it too.

IMG_7737.jpg
    Paul

Re: Grainy mess or arty capture??

for me these types of shots need to be sharp, clear & colour - sorry Paul
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      for me these types of shots need to be sharp, clear & colour - sorry Paul
      Just shows how subjective our hobby is - I really like it. I think it has a sense of power and movement. The only thing I would change is the distracting white highlights from items within the arena.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
        Just shows how subjective our hobby is - I really like it.
        James
        agree, but how boring would it be if we all liked the same thing ;o)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          agree, but how boring would it be if we all liked the same thing ;o)
          I'm very much with you there
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Just shows how subjective our hobby is - I really like it. I think it has a sense of power and movement. The only thing I would change is the distracting white highlights from items within the arena.
            James
            Yes I'm with James on this one. It reminds me of a much better quality photo finish shot from the races. Shame its paw has just broken the white section, your timing is awful Paul
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

a bit of cloning and possibly selective n/r applied to the background layer would help and if possible re-colour the dog to lift it and its a award winner ,hard work but winning shots are never easy

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                a bit of cloning and possibly selective n/r applied to the background layer would help and if possible re-colour the dog to lift it and its a award winner ,hard work but winning shots are never easy
                ...or maybe start with a better shot, lol
                I try to minimise the time I spend on any of them these days as getting them from event to website as soon as possible makes a difference to the overall sales. I do like to go back and play in between events though. Had this been on a 1d3 it might just have been that bit more!!
                Paul

Comment

I really like the motion, power and overall effect Paul
                  A couple if suggestions if I may to consider to give a different look
                  - I suspect you have cropped the shot. Might it be possible to move the dog up to bring the shadow into the shot?
                  - Perhaps emphasis the effect more to go for an old retro effect
                  Cheers
                  Dave

Comment

This is as much of the shadow as I have. I did have a little PS dabble, but this isn't stuff I do much of so I am not well practiced at it.

tuppence
                    Paul

Comment

Yes I like it...I think ideally I'd prefer a sharp shot, but so often a less than perfect shot evokes our liking ....it has a character unique to the moment of capture.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

James
                        I would agree with James

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X