Red Setter at Sunset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Setter at Sunset

Came accross these 2 Red Setters when out walking my own Black Lab. Only began photography a few weeks ago so all feedback and advice is welcomed
    http://

Canon 500d 18-135mm IS kit lens
    Last edited by Gardino; 02-11-2010, 19:51.

Re: Red Setter at Sunset

I like these two shots. There is always something "soleful" about Setter's eyes.

With #1 I might be tempted to crop of a bit forom the top as the background sort of takes my eyes from the setter.

#2: I like the way the head breaks the line of the horizon

The positioning of the dog in both shots for me is spot on.

Well done

David
    David

Comment

Hi Gardino,

Lovely dogs they have such great expressions. I agree with David I would suggest cropping some of the top from #1 to focus the eye more on the dog. I like both pictures well done.

Comment

Hello Ian

I think #2 is a little stunner. The composition, more space in front of the dog, the out of focus backgound, you have got down to the dogs eye level, it is looking towards the light and there is a catchlight in the eye. Two areas of very minor possible improvement:
        • Open the lens up a stop or two to blur the background even more.
        • With the owners permission, remove the collar with attached distacting labels.

This is very good work for someone who has only been doing photography for a few weeks - I hate to think how good you will be after a couple of months!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Hi Gardino;

Both are nice; but that second is a C O R K E R ! The light & pose are just about spot on! Did you offer the owner a copy? I'm sure they'd be delighted...

Cheers...
          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Excellent, beautiful dogs. Love the lighting.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks, I really like the second shot the best, it must be a bit of begginers luck with the composition with the dogs head breaking the line of the horizon etc although it was fantastic light that evening and the setters coat colourings suit this time of the day. When I showed the owner the pics on the LCD screen afterwards he was more impressed with some of the other sunset/sun behind clouds shots that had also taken. But to be fair the LCD screen did not do the second picture of his dog justice and if I do see him out agin i will sort out a print for him.

Comment

Lovely shots - #2 is superb - just showed this to my wife - says she wants a Red Setter now...thats some accolade for your shot!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hi Gardino,

I have been trying for ages to get shots of my two Cocker Spaniels as good as these but no yet made it, number 2, in my humble opinion is quite superb!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X