More Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Dogs

I have been experimenting with images of my dog, Mario, using my new 580 Speed Gun.. Would be really grateful of any advice - I kept the flash on the camera and tried to fill in where he was in shadow.
    I can see that flash photography could be a tough nut to crack!!

Model got bored with the whole exercise!!

Re: More Dogs

Lovely Dog
    Number 3 is my favorite.
    1 & 2 the flash has cast a shadow behind Mario. In number 2 some of the shape of Mario's head is lost in this shadow.
    The easy way lessen this shadow ( flash mounted on camera) is by diffusing the light or positioning the dog further away from the background.

Trev

Comment

Thank you so much for that - I see exactly what you mean about the shadows - I suppose a diffuser will be next on my shopping list!!

Comment

Maybe you could try the Sto-Fen OMNI-BOUNCE it attach to your flash and defuses the light perfectly.
        Would make a big difference to your shadowing.
        Craig
        A photo is a moment of time captured forever.

Comment

Without a diffuser like the stofen or more expensive ones, you could angle the flash over your shoulder or off to the side on to a reflector.

With the 7D you can have more fun if you want to.
          Use the built in flash for fill, and conceal your 580 behind your dog with enough power to overpower the shadows without overexposing the background. With the built in flash you may need to take a bit care to avoid the canine version of red-eye.

Although my dog is well trained, my problem is that she won’t stay still, and she doesn’t like cameras.
          I'm limited to what I can grab, and when she is still and posing nicely in ideal light, I don't always have my camera to hand.

Trev

Comment

I am such a sucker for black dogs. Those are good first attempts with the new flashgun and there has been lots of tips for using the flash a little differently. You have such a willing subject, that experimentation won't be too much of a chore

You can appreciate where I got the idea for a completely black background for the shot of my dog Cooper.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I love shooting dark dogs against a dark background Diana. The shot of Coco below was got using a black background and shooting at her level with the 580EX2 flash firing over my left shoulder to bounce off a reflector (sheet of white mountboard in this case) aimed down toward the dog's "posing place". I find using bounced flash like this does away with all the harsh highlights and reflections off the fur but still gives a nice catchlight
              (I use a couple of my wife's large stuffed furry toy animals, one black and one brown, to test out different lighting set-ups, saves the dogs getting bored [not my dog by the way,I borrowed coco + yuma - a black lab, from a friend] )
              Last edited by oldcanon; 30-11-2010, 12:16.
              My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Good point, if the BG is darker than the shadow there's no worries

Aww........ lovely brown Lab. Coco is one handsome dog Oldcanon
                Great pic too !
                All the Labs I know will sit transfixed, if there is the slightest possiblity of an edible treat.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                  Good point, if the BG is darker than the shadow there's no worries

Aww........ lovely brown Lab. Coco is one handsome dog Oldcanon
                  Great pic too !
                  All the Labs I know will sit transfixed, if there is the slightest possiblity of an edible treat.

Trev
                  Flat coats too - I see a suspicion of drool in photo no.2

Comment

Originally posted by DianaS View Post
                    Flat coats too - I see a suspicion of drool in photo no.2
                    Drool is a flattie trait My father's bitch (now sadly gone) was a softie of the first-degree!

Outside of the shadow, I like the profile of #1... shows off the 'scruffy' ears a treat!

I can't get our son's Lab to sit for me for love nor treats; all she wants to do is slober over the lens
                    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Working...
                    X