In camera B+W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In camera B+W

I thought i would give the B+W setting on my 5D a try after hearing a photographer that always uses it for his landscapes

Re: In camera B+W

How come twenty members have viewed this shot without commenting how good it is?

OK, down to me then .............. It's good!

It works well with the background, good exposure, good catchlight in the eye and reflection off the nose. The lighting shows off the "scraggly" fur well, which adds to the character and appeal of the shot.

Two thoughts for the future:

* Get down to his eye level. You are still a little too high to get that essential eye to eye contact.

* Take the collar off.

Colin
    Last edited by colin C; 20-12-2010, 08:40.
    Colin

Comment

A great shot and I agreee with everything Colin said...it only takes a minute to post a reply.

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

A very nice shot - really impressed that it's shot wit the canon default B&W! One very minor addition to Colin's comments is watch for the creases on the B/G and on the floor.
        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Very nice shot. I agree with all of the comments. Oh...I posted on my first viewing of the image....:tongue:

Comment

I'm definately going to go and buy a black sheet and try something like this. I would very much like a picture like this of my dog. (Wondering if I could bribe her to sit long enough)
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thankyou to everyone who looked, also non posters i don't mind if they enjoyed looking i keep forgetting about the collar but these were just for fun. For some reason i didn't get lower for this shot, the background is just some cheap black material i bought off the market i think i'm going to invest in some rolls of paper
              Here's one from a lower angle

Comment

For a portrait (if that's what you are creating) the less to distract the eye the better. These are cracking images and the dog collar only detracts from the image - it adds nothing imo.

Also I'd say get slightly lower still - he/she is still looking up a little.
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

What a fantastic expression on #1, "how many more do I have to sit through"

Leigh

Comment

I'm a not big fan of B&W but the first is a cracker, Colin's two tip of get low and get the model nude would make the good shot even better.

I'm surprised at how good the in camera B&W has turned out, as I always thought your were better shooting colour then converting in software, proven wrong again.

Comment

Great pic...maybe one day I will be able to take such a great picture!
                      Canon EOS 7D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard-davidson/

Comment

Lovely shot of your pet, like Mark said I too was always under the impression it was best to shoot in colour and convert afterwards, always an exception to the rules, mind you I dont have a 5d.

Ray
                        Last edited by raymon; 02-01-2011, 17:36.

Comment

I love both pictures. My wife thinks #2 is really cute and a more engaging picture (her words not mine). I have not thought of using B + W yet but having seen these must now give it a try.

Comment

A really lovely dog and imho the second image befits it although, collarless would have been more pleasing.

B&W is very striking here.

With that said, well done indeed, gsgary

Originally posted by deapy1 View Post
                            What a fantastic expression on #1, "how many more do I have to sit through"

Leigh
                            lol. love this quote

Comment

Working...
                            X